There have been times when I wanted to download some files on my Mac but couldn’t because I was far away from the computer. Even though there are multiple ways to solve this problem such as logging into your Mac, or syncing files with Google Drive, things get complicated when you only have access to an iPhone. If you’re in the same boat then fret not, I’m here to show you how to download files remotely on mac with an iPhone. Let’s begin.
Download Files to Mac Remotely
Transloader is a simple utility app that allows you to initiate downloads on your Mac even if you’re not around the computer. The best part is that you can download files even if the Mac is locked. The way Transloader works is that you install the app on your Mac, and use an iPhone or iPad to send the download links to the Mac. On top of that, you can even do that from another Mac which is just a cherry on the cake.
Transloader uses iCloud to sync everything which results in a seamless experience. First of all, install the Transloader app on your Mac. Then go ahead and install Transloader on your iPhone or iPad. After installation, the devices would instantly show up in the app.
1. To send a download link to Mac with your iPhone, open the Transloader app on the iPhone. Tap the add link button on the top right and select ‘tap to enter link’ input field.
2. Now, paste the download link and select the destination MacBook from the link. Tap Download button on the top right to begin the process.
3. Your download should instantly begin on Mac. You shall find the file downloaded on Mac in the Transloader app.
Log in and Save Cookies
While normal downloads work like a charm, you may face an error when downloading files that are password protected. These downloads include servers, websites with login credentials, etc. Transloader even lets you download those files without any problems. The way this works is that you enter the login credentials on your iPhone and save those cookies. Transloader will send these cookies to your Mac and initiate the download.
To demonstrate, I’ll download a file from the DeviantArt website that can only be downloaded when you’re logged in.
1. Paste the download link in the Transloader app on iPhone and tap on Download button.
2. Your download link will sync and fail. Tap the three-dot menu button next to the download file to bring up the pop-up menu.
3. Select Login and Retry. It would open the login page of the website. Enter the credentials and tap Save Cookies.
4. Your download would begin automatically after your cookies are saved.
You would find the file on your Mac. To find the location, click the magnifying glass button next to it and open the file in Finder.
Final Words: Downloading Files on Mac Remotely
This was a quick way to download files on your Mac using an iPhone while on the go. While Transloader works great, it does have a few shortcomings. For example, you can’t download files from cloud storage services such as Google Drive, One Drive, etc. Dropbox is an exception that lets you download files with Transloader. There are other options as well such as Cyberduck and Remote desktop that can also get the job done. However, Transloader is pretty intuitive and seamless. What do you think? Let me know on Twitter.
Also Read: 11 Best macOS 12 Features, Tips, and Tricks