Play Station 5 or PS5 created quite a stir in the gaming world. However, soon after release, it fell into a bit of trouble. Multiple users have reported their DualSense PS5 controller suffering from the dreaded drift issue. This is similar to the drift issue that surfaced on the DualSense 4 controller. If you are also experiencing PS5 controller drift then you are at the right place, as in this post, we will give you some solutions that can fix the PS5 controller drift. Let us jump right in.
What is PS5 DualSense Controller Drift
Well, before we go through all the methods that will help you solve the PS5 controller drift issue, let us first understand what basically is controller drift. In simple terms, controller drift is a phenomenon where the console registers movements or actions without the player touching the controller button.
Now, this is the same issue what the PS5 DualSense controller is suffering from, at least as per multiple user reports. So for instance, if your player or in-game character moves or aims without you touching the controls, then sadly, your PS5 controller has a drift issue.
But before you go and decide to shell out another $70 for a brand-new controller, we would advise you to first go through the list of solutions provided in this post.
Solutions to Fix PS5 Controller Drift
Now, that we have understood what is drift issue on the PS5 controller, let us take a look at the solutions for fixing it.
1. Reset Your DualSense Controller
Starting off with one of the easiest solutions, let us go through how you can reset your PS5 controller. Do note that resetting does not mean simply turning the controller on or off.
- Turn off the PS5 console.
- There is a small reset button in the form of a tiny hole at the back of the controller.
- You can make use of a pin or a small pointed tool to push it inside the hole.
- Notably, you may need to hold the pin inside the hole for about 3-5 seconds to initiate a reset.
- Now, connect the controller to the PS5 console using a USB cable and press the PS button.
2. Keep Your PS5 and PS5 Controller Updated
Just like any other developer, Sony also pushes timely updates for the PS5 to keep the console and the controller up to date. The latest firmware version is 20.02-02.50.00 (at the time of writing this article). You can check for the latest PS5 system update software information on Sony’s site. Besides, you can also manually check for the update by following the below-mentioned steps.
- Firstly, go over to Settings > Network.
- Disable the Connect to the Internet under the Settings menu
- Change the PS5’s date by going over to Settings > System > Date and Time.
- Connect PS5 DualSense controller to the PS5 console via USB.
- Restart the PS5 and update it.
3. Clean Your DualSense Controller
Not only your body, but machines also require cleaning on a regular basis. If you play games on PS5 for hours and do not clean them, sweat and debris could accumulate inside the controller. Don’t ask me, but they make their way inside the controller somehow.
The best and safest way to clean PS5 controller and probably get rid of the drift issue is to use a cotton swab. You can also use it along with some rubbing alcohol and compressed air. One of the most important things that you should keep in mind is to turn OFF the DualSense controller before you go ahead and clean it.
4. Reset Bluetooth
If completely resetting PS5 controller does not fix the drift issue, you can also try resetting the Bluetooth. Though this could be the least likely reason for PS5 controller drift, it is better to go through every solution. So, try cycling the Bluetooth on and off, and see if it fixes the drift issue.
- Go to Settings menu by hitting the cog icon.
- Head over to Accessories > General.
- There will be an option to turn off Bluetooth within the General tab.
5. Return PS5 Controller for Repair
As a last resort, when none of the home-remedy works, you need to visit the doctor. For the PS5 controller drift issue, you need to send it back to Sony for repair or a possible replacement if it is under warranty. The return process is pretty simple and you need to head over to PlayStation.com Fix and Replace page. You need to follow all the questions to diagnose the issue and start your return. If you have purchased PS5 from a retailer, then you need to contact your retailer first.
Wrap Up: Fix PS5 Controller Drift Issue
So, that’s it from my side in this post. Note that we have tried to include almost all the possible solutions that one can follow and try out to fix the PS5 controller drift issue. You can also try reporting the drift issue to the Sony tech support as soon as you come across it.