Instant photo-sharing app Snapchat made a name for itself by offering a set of filters and lenses that were unique in themselves. While apps like Instagram have also incorporated similar filters, they are no way near as fun as the ones from Snapchat. But if you haven’t been able to take advantage of Snapchat filters because they aren’t working, then you’re at the right place. We have put together a list of a few troubleshooting fixes that will help fix Snapchat filters not working issue on both Android and iPhone. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
1. Check Internet Connection
As obvious as it may sound, you should start by checking the internet connection on your phone. Since Snapchat downloads new filters and lenses from its server, an unstable or weak internet connection can lead to such failures.
Try running a quick speed test on your phone to verify the strength of the internet connection. Or else, switch to a different internet connection if possible.
2. Enable Location Services
In addition to its classic filters, Snapchat also has a few filters that vary based on your phone’s location, called Geofilters. To access them, you’ll need to enable location services on your phone. Here’s how to do it.
1. Launch the Settings app and tap on Location. Then toggle on the switch next to Use location.
2. Next, go to Google Location Accuracy and turn on the switch next to Improve Location Accuracy.
1. Open up the Settings app on your iPhone and go to Privacy > Location Services.
2. Toggle on the switch next to Location Services.
If you’re having issues finding a particular filter or a lens, it may not be available in your location.
3. Check If Snapchat Is Down
Another reason why Snapchat might fail to load up filters and lenses is if there’s an issue with Snapchat’s server. It’s not uncommon for these services to experience such outages sometimes. Thankfully, third-party tools like Downdetector can help you verify if others are experiencing similar issues. Alternatively, you can keep an eye out on Snapchat’s official Twitter handle for any outage reports.
4. Allow Relevant Permissions
Like any other app, Snapchat requires relevant permissions to access things like your phone’s storage, internet, and camera. If one or more of those required permissions is disabled, then the Snapchat filters may not work.
Read on to learn how to allow app permissions to Snapchat on Android and iPhone.
1. Press and hold the Snapchat app icon and tap on the Info icon from the resulting menu. Then go to Permissions.
2. Allow all the necessary app permissions from here.
1. Open up the Settings app. Go to Snapchat.
2. Under Allow Snapchat to Access, use the toggles to enable all the permissions required.
5. Update Snapchat
If you’re using an older version of Snapchat, then you might face such issues. Hence, it becomes important that you update apps on your phone from time to time. Apart from bringing new features and improvements, these app updates also carry crucial bug fixes. It’s highly likely that updating Snapchat to its latest version may fix Snapchat filters not working issue.
Open up Play Store or App Store and search for Snapchat. Download and install any pending updates and see if that helps.
6. Clear Snapchat Cache
Snapchat stores all your memories, filters, stickers, and such in form of cache on your phone’s local storage. This helps the app avoid downloading the same filters again. While cache data is intended to help, it can also get corrupted after some time.
Follow the steps below to clear the Snapchat cache on Android or iPhone.
1. Open up the Snapchat app. Tap on the profile icon followed by the gear icon to open settings on Snapchat.
2. Go to Account Actions and tap on the Clear Cache option. Hit Continue when prompted.
Now relaunch the app to see if you can load memories.
7. Reinstall Snapchat
If you’re still having issues with Snapchat filters then you can try uninstalling the Snapchat app and installing it again. This will clear any app data from your phone and give it a fresh start.
Improve Your Photos
Snapchat filters have always been a major attraction to its users. Hopefully, the above solutions have helped you fix the Snapchat filters not working issue for good and you’re back at sharing snaps with your friends.