Did you choose the wrong nickname on a Discord server? Or, do you want to choose a unique nickname for a particular server? Regardless of the reason, we will be sharing the easiest and most straightforward method to change your nickname for a Discord server on both the web and mobile.
Note: Some servers don’t allow changing of nicknames after being set once. As the admins and mods of the server may have restricted that permission for everyone on the server.
Table of Contents
Change Nickname for a Discord Server on Web
If you use Discord on a web browser, here are the steps to change the nickname for any Discord server.
1. Open discord.com in the choice of your browser.
2. Select the server where you want to edit your nickname.
3. Click on the down arrow next to the server’s name.
4. Now click on Edit Server Profile.
5. Tap on the NICKNAME text field and type a preferred nickname using your keyboard.
6. Now tap on Save Changes near the bottom side of the screen.
7. Tap on X or press Escape on your keyboard to go back to the server and your Discord server nickname should be updated.
Change Nickname for a Discord Server on Mobile
You can also change your Discord server nickname using the mobile app. Doing so is extremely easy and here are the steps.
Note: We’re using an iPhone for illustration purpose, but the steps to do so on Android is mostly identical. So you can follow worry-free.
1. Navigate to the Discord app on your smartphone and tap to open it.
2. Tap on the icon of the Discord server in which you want to change your nickname.
3. Tap on the kebab menu (three dots) near the name of the server.
4. Now tap on Edit Server Profile.
5. Tap on the NICKNAME text field and type a desired nickname for you on that server.
6. After typing the nickname, tap on Done on the keyboard.
Note: This step is for iOS users, Android users can skip this step.
7. Tap on Save to save your nickname on that server.
Pro Tip: Looking to join new and interesting servers? We have a few tips on how to find new servers to join.
Bonus Tip: Use Command to Change Discord Server Nickname
This is probably the faster way to change your nickname on a Discord server, and also the preferred way if you are a member of a large server where it can be hard sometimes to find your member name.
So, if you want to update your nickname to ‘pablo’, you will give the command below in the text channel and then hit Enter:
Note that the nickname is case-sensitive so type the new Discord server nickname accordingly.
Note: Some Discord servers also allow users to give nicknames to other members of the server.
1. If I change the nickname for one Discord server will it also reflect on the other servers?
No. This is a server-specific nickname. If you want to change the nickname on another server, repeat the steps with the server of your choice.
2. Can I have multiple nicknames on multiple servers?
Yes. Just follow the guide mentioned above and you can create a different persona on different servers.
3. Can I switch back to the default nickname if I want to?
Yes. Whether you’re on the web or on your mobile app, just go to the Edit server profile page, clear the nickname field, and tap on Save.
Stand Out in the Community
In conclusion, changing your nickname on a Discord server is a quick and easy process, whether you’re using the web or mobile app. By following the steps outlined in this article, you’ll be able to customize your Discord experience and stand out in the community. Whether you’re looking to update your personal branding or just want to switch things up, changing your nickname is a simple way to make your mark on the server.
Do you own your own server? Here’s how to let users self-assign roles.