How many times do you feel the need to hide your drives, partition or secure our official documents from the other users. In this tutorial, I will show you how we can hide our drive(s) using cmd, no third party sofware needed. Well, it’s simply done with the help of “diskpart” command.
Here are the steps:
1. First of all go to Start >> Accessories >>Run (or you can use windows + [r] shortcut) type “diskpart” and hit enter.
It will ask for confirmation, click yes.
2. This will open up the cmd, type in the following command without quotes “ list volume” and hit Enter( a list of drives will appear showing volumes , and letter assign to them etc).
3. Select the volume you want to hide. In my case, I want to hide “D” drive, volume corresponding to this is volume 1.
4. So type I will type in this command “select volume 1” and hit Enter.
5. It will show “volume 1 is selected “. Now just remove the drive you want to hide by typing this command “remove letter d”, and hit enter.
6. That’s it check your my computer (win logo +E), the selected drive is not there.
How to get back the hidden drive
- Repeat step 1 and 2 from above to list the volume of your drives.
- Select the drive that you want to unhide, like in my case I want to get back my “D” drive . Type this command “selected volume 1” and hit enter.
- It will show “volume 1 is selected “. Now type this command “ assign letter d” and hit enter. Now check for the drive in my computer, it will back again.