Google Maps is a popular and most-used navigation app on iPhones for a long time now. In fact, people prefer it more than Apple Maps. But you can do much more than just navigate on Google Maps. Like making a list of your favorite places or making a list of places for your upcoming vacation. Here is a complete guide on how to get the most out of lists on Google Maps on your iPhone.
Table of Contents
What Is List on Google Maps
The List is a Google Maps feature that allows you to create a collection of places in one single place or folder. You can edit and share these lists with your friends and family in order to plan more effectively. Plus, you can create multiple lists for various purposes. For example, a list of restaurants to visit, a list of attractions to visit nearby, theaters or shows located in a city, cultural events, etc. It is equally easy to share these Google Maps lists with others.
Let’s have a look at all the things that we can do with Lists on Google Maps.
Pro Tip: Did you know you can now check the air quality index and even wildfires on Google Maps?
Make a List on Google Maps
In order to create a list on Google Maps on your iPhone, you first need to install Google Maps from the App Store. Once you’ve opened the app and signed in with your Google account, follow these steps to create a list on Google Maps on your iPhone.
1. Tap on the Saved tab.
2. Now tap on + New list to begin.
3. Type a name and description for the list, then tap on SAVE. And a new list will be created in your Google Maps on your iPhone.
Find All Your Lists
All the lists that you are creating and following are saved in your Google Maps. Let’s learn how to find all the lists on Google Maps on iPhone.
1. Navigate to the Google Maps app on your iPhone and tap to open it.
2. Tap on the Saved tab to view and locate all your lists. From here you can tap on any list to view items or places saved inside.
Save a Place to a List
Once you’re done creating a list, you might want to save all your favorite places in those lists. In that case, follow these steps to save a place to a list on Google Maps on your iPhone.
1. Open Google Maps and tap on the Saved tab.
2. Tap on the list in which you want to save a place.
3. Tap on + Add.
4. A search page will open, type the name of the place you want to add to the list. Please tap on the search result to add it to the list.
Also Read: Creating a heat map on Google Maps is not only fun but also useful. Learn how.
Alternate Way to Save a Place to a List
Apart from the method mentioned above, there’s one more way to save a place to a List on Google Maps on iPhone. Let’s take a look at an alternate way to do so.
1. Open Google Maps on your iPhone and tap on the Search bar.
2. Search for the place you want to add to the list. Tap on the result to open it further.
3. Tap on the Save button.
4. Tap on the list to which you want to add that place, then tap on Finished. And that place will be added to your list in Google Maps.
Edit or Delete a List
Google Maps also allows you to edit or delete a list when needed. So if you’ve by mistake added a wrong location to your list, follow these steps to edit a list on Google Maps on your iPhone.
1. Open Google Maps and tap on the Saved tab near the bottom of the screen.
2. Tap on the kebab menu (three-dot icon) next to the list you want to edit.
3. A list of options will appear, tap on Edit list.
4. Now tap on the “x” icon next to the places you want to remove from the list. You can also edit the list’s name and description from here.
5. Tap on Save to finish editing the list.
Delete a List
So if you’ve created a duplicate list or maybe you no longer need a list in your Google Maps, then follow these steps to delete a list on Google Maps on your iPhone.
1. Please follow steps 1 and 2 from the above Edit a List section.
2. Once the list of options appears, tap on Delete list.
3. Tap on Delete in the pop-up menu to confirm the deletion of the list.
Note: Once a list is deleted it can’t be undone or recovered.
Google Maps allows you to share those beautifully created lists with others. Plus, it also lets you allow others to edit the list so that you can plan your trip with family and friends without a hassle. Let’s take a look at the steps on how to share a list created on Google Maps.
1. Open Google Maps and tap on the Saved tab at the bottom of the screen.
2. Tap on the kebab menu (three-dot icon) next to the list you want to share with others.
3. Now tap on Share list.
4. Turn on the toggle next to Let others edit this list to allow others to contribute to the list (if you don’t want others to edit the list, just skip this step).
5. Tap on Continue.
6. Share sheet will open on your iPhone. Tap on the app in which you want to share the list. For example, we’re proceeding with iMessage.
7. Type the name of the person with whom you want to share this list. Once the result appears, tap on it.
8. Tap on the Send button to send a link to Google Maps list. And the link to the list will be shared with that person.
Follow a List
If someone has shared a list with you, it is equally easy to save them in your Google Maps on your iPhone. Google Maps also allows you to follow a list so that you can take a better look at it later. Here are the steps to follow a list in Google Maps on your iPhone.
1. Tap on the List link/preview to open it in Google Maps.
2. Tap on the Follow button to follow the list. And the list will appear under the Saved tab in your Google Maps on your iPhone.
Get, Set, and Travel with Google Maps
Google Maps is a great tool to navigate as well as to make a list of your favorite places. By following the guide mentioned above you can create as many beautiful lists as you want. So whether you’re planning a trip with others or making a list for yourself, I hope this article helped you in planning and organizing your trip. Now go ahead and use Google Maps on your iPhone confidently, Happy mapping!
Confused by all those icons and symbols on your screen? Here’s what every icon and symbol means on Google Maps.