Have you ever wondered how to make a to-do list, grocery list, or any list for that matter, using the Notes app on your iPhone? Making a list in the Notes app is effortless. So whether you’re a student or a professional or just want to use the checklist feature of Notes, this is going to be a one-stop guide for you to learn everything about it. Here’s how to create a list in the Notes app, edit it, delete it, and share it with others.
Table of Contents
How to Make a Checklist on iPhone in Notes App
Making a checklist in the Notes app is easy. Open the Notes app on your iPhone and follow these steps to make a checklist on your iPhone right now.
1. Tap on the Create a Note button on the bottom right side of the screen.
2. Type a name for the title, then tap on the Checklist icon to begin.
3. A bubble will appear on the screen. Go ahead and type the name of the item and hit return to go to the next line.
4. Repeat this process until you are done with your list. If you want to enter some text after the checklist, follow the next step or just tap on Done to save the checklist.
5. Hit the Enter/Return key once to create a checklist bubble on the next line. Tap the Return key twice ro convert the bubble into a text field.
6. Now type the note you want to enter for the checklist.
7. Tap on Done. And the checklist along with the note will get saved on your iPhone Notes app.
Must Read: 3 Ways to Add a Google Calendar to an iPhone.
Sort, Rearrange, and Delete Items in a Checklist
Once you’ve made a checklist in the Notes app, you may want to sort, rearrange, or delete some items in it. Let’s take a quick look at the steps to do so.
1. Long-press on the bubble next to the item you want to rearrange in the list.
2. Now that item should be picked up. Go ahead and move the item up or down according to your preference.
3. While moving the item, take a look at the yellow indicator on the left. It will precisely tell you where that item is going to get placed on the checklist when you let it go.
4. Drop the item at the desired position and the list will be arranged according to your preference.
After rearranging the list, let’s see how to delete an item from the checklist in the Notes app on your iPhone.
1. Use the backspace/delete key on your keyboard to delete the text of the checklist item.
2. Once the text is deleted press the backspace/delete key one more time to completely delete the checklist item from the list.
How to Check Items and Sort Completed Items
There are two ways to sort the completed items in a checklist. The first will move the checked items to the bottom of the list and the latter will leave it in the same position as it was before. If you want to move the completed items to the bottom of the list, we’ll have to look at the Settings app first. And here are the steps to follow.
1. In the Settings app, scroll down and tap on Notes.
2. Tap on Sort Ticked Items.
3. Tap on Automatically. It will move the completed items to the bottom of the Checklist.
Pro Tip: If you want to keep the completed items in the same place, select Manually.
Now let’s go back to the Notes app and learn how to complete/check an item.
4. Once the checklist is open, tap on the bubble right next to the item which you want to mark as completed. This will mark that item complete and will move it to the bottom of the list.
A checklist is basically a note as it is created inside the Apple Notes app. So to share a checklist, you need to know how to share a note inside Apple Notes app. Open the checklist in the Notes app and follow these steps to share it with other people.
1. Tap on the Share button.
2. Tap on Send Copy.
Note: Send Copy option just sends a copy to the other person. They can only view the checklist but cannot edit or contribute to it.
3. Now tap on Collaborate.
4. Tap on Only invited people can edit to view the permission for the notes.
5. Customize the permissions and review them. Now tap on Done.
6. Select the person with whom you want to share the note. For illustration purposes, we’re using iMessage to send a note to the other person. You can tap on any app in the Share Sheet to share your checklist with others.
Note: To share an Apple Note with others, the other person needs to have an Apple ID. Otherwise, you won’t be able to send notes to them.
7. Tap on the Send button to share the checklist with the other person in the iMessage chat.
How to Stop Sharing a Note
If you no longer wish to share your checklist with someone, here are the steps to stop sharing a note.
1. Tap on the Share this note with others icon (person in the circle icon).
2. A pop-up will open. Scroll down and tap on Manage Shared Note.
3. Tap on Stop Sharing near the bottom side of the screen.
4. A pop-up menu will appear on the screen. Tap on Stop Sharing button to confirm.
Add a Checklist (Note) to the Reminders
You can also add a checklist to the Reminders app and then add a reminder for a specific time. To add the checklist to the Reminders app, open the checklist in the Notes app and follow these steps.
Note: You can only add shared notes in the Reminders app. So in order to add a checklist (Note) to Reminders, you need to share it with another person or you won’t be able to add it.
1. Tap on the Share icon.
2. Now tap on the Reminders in the share sheet.
3. Type the name of the person with whom you want to share this note. Once the name appears, tap on it to select it.
4. Tap on Share Link.
5. On the next page, tap on Add to add the checklist (note) to the Reminders app. And the next time you open Reminders, the checklist (note) will appear there.
1. Can I use Siri to add items to a checklist?
No. Siri can’t add items to the checklist inside the Notes app.
2. Can I move checklist items from one note to another?
Yes. You can select the items and use the copy-paste feature of your iPhone to do that.
3. Can I share an individual item from the checklist with someone?
No. You can’t share an individual item from a checklist as Apple doesn’t allow that.
4. I don’t have an iPhone, can I make a Checklist on my iPad?
Yes. In fact, the steps are identical to the iPhone. Just follow the guide thoroughly and you’ll be able to create the Checklist in no time.
Make a Checklist on iPhone’s Notes App
Apple’s Notes app is an all-rounder app. You can use it to take notes, draw, and more importantly, create a quick checklist of things you need to do on your iPhone. Just follow the above-mentioned steps and you can create and share a checklist in no time. I hope this guide helped you in becoming more organized and productive using the Apple Notes app.
Did you know that your Notes and Photos are now end-to-end encrypted on iCloud? Learn more about Advanced Data Protection and how you can enable it.