Instagram can be distracting with various notifications about likes, DMs, comments, and even when someone you follow uploads a story. Whether you want to mute all unimportant notifications or prefer to mute some profiles, Instagram provides you with an option. We will go through various settings to mute notifications and/or mute profiles on Instagram.
Table of Contents
Mute All Instagram Notifications on iPhone
You can mute all sorts of Instagram notifications from the iOS settings app including likes, messages, etc.
1. To mute, open the Settings app on your iPhone and then select the Notifications option.
2. Now scroll down to the Instagram option and select it to customize Instagram notifications.
3. To block all the notifications from Instagram completely, just disable the toggle beside Allow Notifications.
4. Instead of blocking the notifications completely, if you prefer to just mute the notifications, you can just disable the toggle beside the Sounds option.
5. Then under the Alerts section, you can customize on which screen you want these notifications to be visible. There are three options – Lock Screen, Notification Center, and Banners.
That’s it, now all Instagram notifications are on mute. Instead, if you looking for how to fix Instagram notifications not working, check this article out.
Must Read: Instagram Block vs Report vs Restrict: When to Use and How
Mute All Instagram Notifications on Android
Android gives you more control over muting notifications. Instead of muting all the notifications, you can mute specific notification types like likes, messages, friend requests, etc.
1. Open the Settings app, select the Notifications option and then select App settings.
2. Now scroll down and open the Instagram option.
3. To block all the notifications from Instagram, just turn off the toggle beside All Instgaram notifications.
4. You can also scroll down and disable the toggle beside specific categories to mute individual notification types.
5. In case, you just want to mute instead of disabling them completely, open the category you want to mute and then select the Silent option. You will have to mute each category individually. There is no option to mute all the Instagram notifications with one toggle.
Mute Specific Notifications on Instagram
On Android, you can use the system settings to mute specific notifications from all apps. Instagram allows you to turn off specific notifications too. Once you change these settings on Instagram, it will be applied to your account and you will not get such notifications on any device you logged in to Instagram. Also, it works on both Android and iOS.
1. Open the Instagram app and tap on the profile icon at the bottom right corner.
2. Then tap on the hamburger menu at the top right corner.
3. In the pop-up menu, select the Settings option.
4. In Settings, select the Notifications option. Here you should find various Instagram notification categories like Posts, messages, calls, etc.
5. Open the category you want to block the notifications from and select the Off option.
6. Instead of turning off notifications completely, you can choose to get notifications only from the people you follow, etc.
Mute Posts and Stories from Someone on Instagram
If you don’t want to see posts or stories that someone recommended on your home page, instead of unfollowing them or blocking them, you can simply mute them. They won’t receive any notification when you mute them so they won’t know and you won’t see any of their posts on your homepage even if you are following them.
1. On the Instagram app, search and open the account you want to mute.
2. On their account page, tap on the Following option. Then in the pop-up menu, select the Mute option.
3. Now enable the toggle beside Posts and Stories. Muting Posts will also mute Instagram photos, videos, and reels.
Mute Calls and Messages from Someone on Instagram
If someone is spamming your DM and you want to mute that conversation:
1. Open the Instagram app and tap on the Messages icon at the top right corner.
2. Now long-press on the account that you want to mute.
3. In the pop-up menu, tap on the Mute messages option and then select the time duration to mute temporarily. You can also select Until I change it to mute it until you turn it off manually.
4. In the pop-up menu, tap on the Mute calls option and then select the time duration to mute the calls. Similar to messages, you can also select Until I change it to mute it until you turn it off manually.
Mute on Instagram
Whether you want to stop receiving distracting notifications or remove unwanted suggestions, Instagram’s Mute features got you covered. With them, you can mute the notifications in different categories like stories, posts, etc. Also, you can mute people in case you no longer want to check their posts and stories. It is equally easy to unmute someone on Instagram.