Live photos are animated pictures created by combining the photos captured a few seconds before and after the shutter clicks. You can enable or disable live photos by simply tapping on the Live button in the Camera app. You can even convert live photos to videos or GIFs on your iPhone. Let’s learn how to save a live photo as a video on iPhone having iOS 16 and iOS 15.
Table of Contents
How to Save Live Photo as Video on iOS 16
If you have been thinking that Apple has removed the Save as video button from iOS 16, then you are mistaken. That’s because Apple has slightly changed the position of the Save as video button for live photos in iOS 16.
Here are the steps to save a live photo as a video on iOS 16:
1. Launch the Apple Photos app and open the live photo that you want to save as a video.
2. Now, tap on the three-dot icon at the top-right corner and select Save as video from the menu.
That’s it. Your live photo will be saved as a video. The video will appear just after the existing live photo in the Apple Photos app. Once you have converted a live photo into a video, learn how to edit videos using the InShot app.
How to Save Live Photo as Video on iOS 15
Follow these steps to save live photos as videos on iPhones having iOS 15:
1. Launch the Apple Photos app and go to the live photo.
2. Tap on the Share icon at the bottom to open the Share sheet. Scroll down in the Share sheet and select Save as video.
The saved video will show up as a separate video in the Apple Photos app. It will not replace the original Live photo.
How to Convert Multiple Live Photos to Video
The above methods allow you to convert one live photo to a video. If you want to save multiple live photos as video, follow these steps on iOS 15 and 16.
1. Open the Apple Photos app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the Albums tab at the bottom. Scroll down on the Albums screen and tap on Live photos.
3. Press the Select button at the top. Then, tap on the desired photos to select them.
4. Now, to save these multiple live photos as video on iOS 16, tap on the three-dot icon and select Save as video.
On iOS 15, tap on the Share icon and select Save as video from the menu.
Tip: Learn how to change the speed of videos on iPhone.
Bonus: How to Save a Live Photo as GIF on iPhone
To save any live photo as a GIF on iPhone, follow these steps:
1. Open the live photo in the Apple Photos app.
2. Tap on the Live text at the top-left corner. Now, either select Loop or Bounce effect depending on the type of GIF that you want to create. You will see a preview of the GIF when you select any effect.
3. Now, there are two ways to use this GIF. You can either save it or send it directly. To send it in any app, tap on the Share icon at the bottom and choose the app where you want to send the GIF. The live photo will be sent as GIF.
4. Another way is to save the GIF on your iPhone. For that, you will need to save the GIF to the Files app.
Tap on the Share icon for the Live photo after selecting a Bounce or Loop effect. Choose Save to Files from the share sheet.
5. Select the destination folder where you want to save the GIF.
Tip: To save the GIF to the Apple Photos app, open the GIF in the Files app and tap on the Share icon. Select Save as video. Also, check out the best GIF apps for iPhone.
Can’t Save a Live Photo as a Video? Try These Fixes
If you are unable to save live photos as video on your iPhone, try these two fixes:
1. Check the Live Photo Effect
You cannot save a live photo as a video if it has any effect like Loop or Bounce added to it. So if Save to video is missing for your live photo, this could be the reason.
Therefore, open the live photo and check its top-left corner. It should say Live. If you see something like Bounce, Loop, Long exposure, or Live button but with a bar on the circle, you won’t be able to save the live photo as a video. Tap on the drop-down button and select Live from the menu. Then, try saving the live photo as a video using the above-mentioned steps.
2. Try Using a Shortcut
If you are still unable to save a live photo as a video, you should try using a shortcut to convert a live photo into a video. Follow these steps:
1. Download the Apple Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
2. Open the Convert LivePhotos to Video link on your iPhone. Tap on the Get shortcut button followed by Add shortcut.
3. The shortcut will show up in the Apple Shortcuts app. Now, whenever you want to convert a live photo into a video, tap on the Convert LivePhotos to Video shortcut in the Apple Shortcuts app. Select the live photo to convert.
Once converted, the video will show up in the Apple Photos app. Check out other cools shortcuts that will come in handy on your iPhone.