WhatsApp is a popular messaging app that is used daily by almost millions of users. Be it for talking with friends and family, or even for work purposes, WhatsApp makes our life easy. But imagine the surprise if you accidentally mute someone and suddenly stop receiving messages from them. Thankfully, it’s quite easy to unmute contacts on WhatsApp mobile. Let’s check how to unmute chats, status, calls, and notifications on WhatsApp for Android and iPhone.
Table of Contents
How to Unmute WhatsApp Chats or Groups
WhatsApp offers a native way to mute chats on Android and iPhone. If you see a speaker icon with a bar next to a chat, that means the chat is muted. Follow the steps given below to unmute personal and group chats on WhatsApp.
Tip: Know the meaning of all symbols and icons that show on WhatsApp.
Unmute from WhatsApp Chats on Android
There are three ways to unmute a regular or group chat on Android.
1. Launch the WhatsApp app and long-press on the chat thread that you want to unmute.
2. Tap on the Loudspeaker icon at the top to unmute the chat.
1. Launch WhatsApp and open the chat or group that you want to Unmute.
2. Tap on the three-dot icon at the top and select Unmute notifications.
Open WhatsApp chat and tap on the contact or group name at the top of the chat thread. Then, turn off the toggle next to Mute notifications.
Tip: Know the difference between WhatsApp groups and communities.
Unmute WhatsApp Chats on iPhone
You can unmute WhatsApp messages on iPhone in two ways:
1. Open WhatsApp on your iPhone.
2. Long press on the chat thread and select Unmute from the menu.
1. Launch WhatsApp and open the chat or group that you want to unmute.
2. Tap on the contact name at the top. Press the Muted option on the next screen and select Unmute.
How to Unmute Archived Chats
Previously, if you received a new message in an archived chat, you were notified and the chat was unarchived. But WhatsApp now has a setting that makes archived chats stay muted even if you receive new notifications.
Follow these steps to unmute archived chats:
1. Open WhatsApp on your phone and go to its Settings.
2. Tap on Chats and turn off the toggle next to Keep chats archived. Now, if you receive a message in any archived chat, you will be notified about it. Please note that this setting applies to all archived chats.
If you still aren’t receiving notifications from unarchived chats, you may have manually muted the archived chat. To unmute unarchived chats, follow any of the methods mentioned in the ‘How to unmute chats’ section.
Tip: Check out the best WhatsApp privacy settings.
How to Unmute WhatsApp Status
If you accidentally muted someone on WhatsApp status, follow these steps to unmute a contact’s status update:
1. Open WhatsApp and go to the Status tab.
2. Scroll down to the bottom and expand the Muted updates section.
3. Here you will see all the contacts whose status you have muted. Long press on the contact that you want to unmute and tap on Unmute in the pop-up that shows up.
Tip: Learn how to download WhatsApp status.
How to Unmute WhatsApp Calls
To unmute yourself on WhatsApp voice or video call, tap on the Microphone button with a bar (\) at the bottom.
Note: You cannot unmute someone else on WhatsApp. They will have to unmute themselves.
How to Unmute Notifications from WhatsApp Settings
If you aren’t receiving notifications from any WhatsApp chat, you might have turned off WhatsApp notifications. You don’t need to unmute each chat manually to receive notifications. Just turn on the WhatsApp notifications as shown below:
1. Open WhatsApp on your iPhone or Android and go to its Settings.
2. Tap on Notifications.
3. On iPhone, enable the toggle next to Show notifications for both message and group notifications. Also, tap on Sound and select any other alert tone than None.
On Android, tap on the Notification tone under both Messages and Groups and make sure None or Silent isn’t selected.
How to Unmute WhatsApp Notifications from Phone Settings
In addition to the above settings, you can unmute WhatsApp from phone settings as well.
Turn on WhatsApp Notifications on Android
1. Open Settings on your Android phone.
2. Go to Apps > WhatsApp.
3. Tap on Notifications. Make sure the toggle next to Allow notifications is turned on.
4. Also, tap on each notification category and check whether they are allowed to send notifications or not. Make sure to check the tone under Sound as well.
Turn on WhatsApp Notifications on iPhone
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Go to Notifications > WhatsApp.
3. Enable the toggle next to Allow Notifications. Scroll down and enable the toggle for Sound.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What happens to messages when you mute someone on WhatsApp?
You will continue to receive messages from the muted contact. The only thing is that you will not be notified about them. You have to open the chat manually to check those messages.
2. What happens when you unmute someone on WhatsApp?
You will be notified about new messages when you unmute a chat on WhatsApp. Nothing will happen to old messages.
3. How do you know if someone muted you on WhatsApp?
There is no direct way of knowing if someone mutes you on WhatsApp.
Customize WhatsApp Notifications
Hope you were able to unmute chats, status, calls, and notifications on WhatsApp. Once everything is back on track, know how to customize notifications for every contact on WhatsApp. Also, learn how to get WhatsApp notifications on the lock and home screen.