Instagram has finally updated its map feature. You can now search for popular places like restaurants, cafes, shops, and more directly from the Explore page. Besides, you can also use the map to view stories from around the world. If you’re curious to know more, read along to learn how to access and use the Instagram map on your Android or iPhone.
Table of Contents
How to Access the Instagram Map
The steps are the same for both Android and iOS but I am using iPhone for this guide. You may find some UI differences in Android phones.
1. Open up Instagram on your phone and tap the search icon at the bottom to navigate to the Explore page.
2. Search for a location you want to see on the map and tap on See all results. Switch to the Places tab and select from the suggested options to view that place on the map.
Instagram will open the specified location on its map. Alternatively, you can tap on the location tag of an Instagram post to view that place on the map.
Once the map opens, you can move around and zoom in and out, just like you’d on Google Maps. As you explore the map, you’ll notice a few story icons. You can tap on those icons to view stories from that location.
How to Use Instagram Map to Search for Popular Places in an Area
One significant advantage of the Instagram map is that it allows you to search for popular places in any neighborhood. This can help you find popular restaurants, cafes, hotels, and other establishments.
1. Open up the Explore page on Instagram and search for a location.
2. Once the map is open, tap on Search This Area at the top. Instagram will show you all the popular places in that area. You can scroll through the available filters to discover popular businesses or use the search tool to find a specific establishment.
3. Once you select a business, you’ll see some basic information such as its address, business hours, and more. You can tap on View information for more details.
1. Open Instagram and search for an establishment you want to share. Tap the paper airplane icon and share it with one of your Instagram contacts.
2. You can also share the location as a QR code. Tap the kebab menu (three-dot menu icon) in the top right corner and select the QR code option from the menu that appears.
3. Once the QR code is generated, you can save it on your phone and share it with others.
Alternatively, you can save the location to revisit it in the future by tapping the Bookmark icon.
To view all the locations you’ve saved on Instagram, navigate to the Profile tab, tap the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) in the top right corner, and select Saved.
How to Appear on Instagram Map
Similar to Instagram’s Explore page, the map feature is curated by the app’s algorithm. You can follow these steps to maximize your chances of appearing on the Instagram map.
Make Sure Your Profile Is Public
It may seem obvious, but if you have a private Instagram profile, your posts and stories will not appear on the map. So, make sure your Instagram account is set to public.
Add Locations and Hashtags to Your Posts
Another thing you should do is include location data and hashtags in your Instagram posts and stories. Adding a popular nearby location can improve your chances of appearing on the map.
Change Instagram Account Category
Instagram’s map feature isn’t just for users to explore new places. It can also contribute to a business’s visibility. If you have a business account, you can get discovered and attract more foot traffic by appearing on the Instagram map.
For that, you need to make sure that the Instagram account category is correctly set. So, if you’re running an Instagram account to promote your restaurant, for example, you need to set the Instagram account category to Restaurant. This way, when people search for nearby restaurants, your account will appear.
To change the account category for your Instagram business account, go to Edit profile > Category and select the appropriate category.
1. Why can’t I see the Instagram map?
Instagram is gradually releasing the map feature to all devices. So, it might take a while before you get this feature.
2. What map service does Instagram use?
Instagram’s map feature is powered by Apple Maps.
Interaction Made Simple
Using the Instagram map is a fun way to connect with your local scene. The Instagram map isn’t the only new feature the company has introduced recently. Check out how you can add non-fungible tokens (NFTs) to your Instagram profile.