Even though Facebook remind us of our friend’s birthday, I am sure many of you still prefer to wish your close friends personally over the phone. I always wish my friends right on time and have been doing this for one year, without missing a single birthday. So what is a secret of not forgetting friend’s birthdays?
Yes, you guess it right, I use reminder service to send me a notification. There are many free birthday reminder apps like Birthday Calendar for Android or Birthday Sweet for iOS devices. However, I don’t find them reliable in the long run, as one needs to regularly check the apps for the upcoming birthdays. And if somehow you uninstall these birthday reminder apps than you can miss some important birthday. Therefore we need something which we can rely 100% on the long run.
And the solution to this is Google Calendar; nowadays everyone has Google account and mobile phone to receive SMS notification. Therefore in this post, I will show you, how to import birthday list from Facebook and the upload them Google calendar and then set up up an SMS notification to remind us of birthday.
Import Facebook Birthdays to Google Calendar
1. Start with logging into your Facebook account > go to the apps option at the left side of screen > select event. Alternatively, you can click on this URL.
2. On the right side of the screen you will see Birthday this week > right-click on the birthday URL > copy the link address.
3. Now open your Google calendar > click on the small drop-down arrow near the other calendar at the left side of the screen > click on Add by URL option.
4. Paste the URL and click on add calendar option. This will import all the birthdays of your friends from Facebook to Google Calendar
5. To setup SMS, notification clicks on the small drop down arrow on the calendar that you have just imported and selected Calendar setting. Under reminder and notification tab enter your mobile no. And choose when you want to get the notification. After making changes click on OK.
This is it; now you will get SMS notification for your friend’s birthday. However to make things more personalize you may want to;
- Delete some birthdays, assuming they, not every Facebook friend is your close friends
- Add some birthdays of your friends who are not on your friend’s list
Doing this manually may take some time, But it will save you a lot of unnecessary notification throughout the year