Comparing pictures are a great way to track progress in the longer run. For example, if you’ve started going to the gym, tried the couch to a 5K run, or simply got a new look you wish to share on social media. Looking at two pictures side by side can be good motivation to continue the grind. But how do you place two images side-by-side on the fly? Here’s how to put two pictures side by side on Android easily.
Add Two Pictures Side by Side on Android
1. Google Photos
Consider yourself lucky if you have an Android phone as you there’s no need for an extra app to do the job. We’re going to use Google Photo’s robust native editor for this one.
1. Open Google Photos and tap and hold on to a picture to open the selection option. Select the pictures you wish to use as before/after.
2. In order to open the pictures in the editor, tap on the + sign at the top. From the Create menu, select Collage on the bottom.
3. The two pictures will be automatically merged together side by side in a collage. That’s half the job done but now we’ll make some changes to the picture. In order to do that, tap on the Edit sign at the bottom. This will open the picture in Google Photo’s native editor.
Now swipe through the Suggestions option at the bottom to More. You’ll find the Markup tool, tap, and open it.
4. The markup tool not only allows you to add text but also lets you draw on the pictures. In order to add before and after text, simply tap on the text option (Tt) on the right. This will open the keyboard. Type what you want. Then hit Done from the top right corner.
You can also choose the text’s color from the palette right above the keyboard.
5. The last step is to set the placement of the text right. To move the text just drag it anywhere on the screen and hit Done at the bottom. Follow the same steps to add ‘after text’ on the other side of the picture. Now simply save the edited picture by tapping on Save copy and you’re done.
2. Canva: Graphic Design
A major drawback of the above method is that it doesn’t let you add more space on the canvas to add text. So you are left with no other option but to add text over the pictures. Secondly, if both the pictures have a different aspect ratio, it automatically crops these pictures. These problems can be easily solved by using a third-party web and mobile app called Canva.
1. Download and open Canva (requires sign-in). Then hit the + sign at the bottom right of the home page to create a new document.
2. Although you can experiment with multiple canvas sizes, I suggest you pick the Instagram post option. We do that because we need a bigger canvas size for the template we’re going to use. Canva offers default templates for popular social media platforms.
Now, from the Template gallery search for, ‘comparison’ and select the template.
3. It’s a free template and Canva gives you a lot of flexibility to edit it. The first step is to change the preview pictures. To do that, tap on the picture and hit Replace at the bottom of the page. Next, from the Gallery pick the picture of your choice. Follow the same steps to change the second photo.
4. Similarly, in order to change the template text, tap on the text and then on the Edit option at the bottom. Type before/after (text), and tap on a blank space on the canvas again to close the keyboard. That’s it, your before and after picture is ready.
In order to save the picture, select the Save image option (downward arrow) on the top.
5. I’m sure there are users who rather prefer a white canvas over a template. Well, you can do that too. Follow the same steps until you replace both the template images and text. Then tap on all elements one by one. For example, the photo frame, background, etc. Hit the Recycle bin button to delete these elements. Doing this will leave you with two pictures and a white blank space at the end.
3. Other Apps
There are a few other options that you can use as well. Since most of you have Instagram, you can simply add multiple photos to one Instagram story. Once you’re done, add text and move or resize the pictures. Then save the picture and you’re done.
Other great but unusual alternatives include any photo editing tool or meme generator apps. These apps allow you to add two pictures and text easily. On the other hand, meme generator apps also have a native collage and text option that works for our problem.
Closing Remarks: Easiest Way to Put Two Photos Side by Side
Now that you know how to put two pictures side by side on Android, give it a go. In my opinion, the native method is the best if the picture is for personal use. In case you want to show it to others, use Canva as it allows you to make the comparison pictures look professional and clean.
Also Read: 5 Best Photo Booth Apps for Android