Microsoft frequently releases Office updates with new features and bug fixes. The update process starts automatically in the background whenever you launch a Microsoft 365 app on Windows. When things go south, Office starts displaying update errors with cryptic codes. If you face the same, here are the top ways to fix the Microsoft Office update error on Windows 11.
Fix Microsoft Office Update Error on Windows 11
Whether you want to use Microsoft Word’s new Editor to fix typos or check the new OneNote design, you must update the Office suite on Windows.
1. Try Again
When your PC fails to download or install Office updates, it will display a ‘Something went wrong’ error without any details. You can close the dialog box and try to update Office apps again.
1. Open any Microsoft 365 app on your PC.
2. Select File in the top left corner and go to Account.
3. Expand the Update Options menu and select Update Now.
Office app will start checking for updates and download them (if available) in the background. You can minimize the dialog box and continue your work.
2. Check Internet Connection
Microsoft tries to update every Office app simultaneously; these updates don’t come in small sizes. Sometimes, Office updates in GBs (gigabytes), and you must download them on a reliable Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection.
1. Open Windows 11 Settings menu (use Windows + I keys).
2. Go to Network & internet menu.
3. Make sure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network using a 5 GHz frequency (from properties) and not a slower 2.4 GHz one.
You can also utilize an Ethernet connection for a flawless Office update process.
3. Install Windows Updates
The latest Office updates might become incompatible with the system if you are still running an old Windows OS. You should first install pending Windows updates.
1. Launch Windows 11 Settings menu.
2. Go to Windows Update.
3. Check for pending updates and install them.
Once you complete the system update process, use the first trick and manually update Office apps.
4. Restart Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Process
Microsoft Office auto-update process starts searching for new updates in the background during system startup. You may face errors if there is an issue with the Office Click-to-Run process. You must restart the Office Click-to-Run from the Services menu.
1. Press the Windows key and search for Services.
2. Scroll to the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run menu.
3. Select and right-click on it.
4. Click Restart from the context menu.
5. Quick Repair Microsoft 365
You can repair Microsoft 365 and update the Office apps without any issue. Here’s how.
1. Open Windows 11 Settings menu.
2. Go to the Apps menu and open the Installed apps section.
3. Find Microsoft 365 from the list and select the three-dot menu beside it.
4. Click Modify.
5. Select the radio button beside Quick Repair and let Windows troubleshoot the issue.
Quick repair does the job in no time and doesn’t require an internet connection.
6. Online Repair Microsoft 365
Microsoft recommends using the Online Repair option if Quick Repair fails to troubleshoot an Office update error.
1. Modify Microsoft 365 from the Installed Apps menu in Windows Settings (refer to the steps above).
2. Select and run Online Repair.
Online Repair takes a little longer and requires an internet connection throughout.
7. Close Office Apps for Successful Installation
Once Office 365 completes the download process, you must close all Office apps on your PC to install the update. Office will ask you to close all apps, and if you select the cancel button, the app won’t install the update. Click continue when asked to install the update, and let Office complete the job.
8. Reinstall Office
If none of the tricks are working to resolve the Office update error, you have no option but to reinstall Microsoft 365 on your PC. Here’s how.
1. Open the Installed apps menu in Windows 11 (refer to the steps above).
2. Scroll to Microsoft 365 and open the more menu (the one represented by three dots).
3. Select Uninstall and confirm your decision.
4. Visit Microsoft Office on the web and download it on your PC.
9. Join Office Insider
If the regular Microsoft Office update channel is facing an issue, you can join the Office Insider program and install new app builds.
1. Open any Office app on your PC.
2. Select File in the top left corner and go to your Account.
3. Click on Office Insider and select Change Channel.
4. Enable Sign me up for early access to new releases of Office, select the Beta channel, and hit the OK button.
Wait for some time and try installing Office beta builds.
Enjoy New Microsoft 365 Features
Microsoft Office is available to use on the web as well. And it’s acceptable for temporary use and doesn’t come close to a native app experience. Go through the tricks above and fix the Office update error in no time.