Whether you would like to add a photo watermark, merge your picture with another picture, or simply paste a sticker on another photo, it’s quite easy to add a picture on top of another picture on an iPhone. Thankfully, with iOS 17, the Apple Photos app natively supports this feature. But if that doesn’t meet your requirements, you can use free third-party photo-editing apps or a Siri shortcut to achieve this. Let’s check five methods to put a picture on another picture on an iPhone.
Table of Contents
Method 1. Using InShot App
The InShot app is a free app that lets you insert any image on top of another image. It also offers the functionality to remove the background automatically from any picture and put it on another picture among other photo-editing tools like retouch, filters, text, etc.
Use these steps to put a picture on another picture on an iPhone using the InShot app:
1. Install and open the InShot app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the Photos button under the Create new section followed by New on the next screen.
3. Select the background picture.
Note: After adding the picture, if you notice that the InShot app has added a frame or canvas to your picture, tap on Canvas at the bottom and select No frame. Hit the checkmark icon.
4. Then, tap on Stickers and press the Gallery icon.
5. Now, you can either add a regular picture or create a photo cutout where the app will automatically remove the foreground picture’s background.
To add a full-sized image, tap on the +(Add) icon under the Imported section and select Files or Choose from camera roll based on where your image is saved.
Then, tap on the picture that you want to add. It will be added to the Imported section. Go to step 7 if you want to add this picture.
6. Alternatively, if you want to remove the foreground photo’s background and add it as a sticker, tap on the Photo cutout button. Then, choose the storage location of the image from Files or Choose from Camera roll. Select the image and it will show up in the Imported section.
Pro Tip: The ability to remove a photo’s background in the InShot app works in the earlier versions of iOS (iOS 16 and below) as well.
7. Once the picture or photo cutout shows up in the Imported section, tap on the desired picture to add it on top of the background picture.
8. Use the double-sided arrow on the picture to resize it or drag the picture to reposition it. Then, tap on the checkmark icon at the bottom.
9. Finally, tap on the Share icon at the top to save the image that has been superimposed with another image. You will find the new photo in the Photos app.
Tip: Learn how to use InShot app to edit videos on iPhone for free.
Method 2. Using HashPhotos App
HashPhotos is another free app that lets you overlay a picture on another picture on iOS. You can use it to paste a complete image or a photo cutout/sticker on another image.
Follow these steps to use the HashPhotos app to put a picture on another picture on an iPhone:
1. Install the HashPhotos app on your iPhone.
2. Open the app and grant permission to access your photos.
3. Select the background picture on which you want to add another image.
4. Tap on the three-bar icon at the top and press the + (add) icon at the bottom.
5. Tap on Overlay image from the menu and select the image that you want to superimpose on the first image.
6. Use the pinch in and out gesture to resize the foreground picture or drag the picture to move it to a different position.
7. Tap on the Transparency icon at the bottom and use the slider to adjust the opacity of the image that you added.
Note: I have removed the picture’s background using the sticker feature in iOS.
8. Finally, tap on the checkmark icon at the bottom. You can then further modify the edited image by using the available tools like crop, flip, filters, lighting tools, etc.
9. When done, tap on the Download icon at the top. Select a size and hit Save a copy to save the new image on your iPhone. Do not tap on Save otherwise, it will replace the original image with the edited photo.
Pro Tip: You can also use the Snapseed app to insert a picture on another picture. For that, add the first image in the app, then go to Tools > Double exposure. Tap on the Add image icon at the bottom and select the second image.
Method 3. Using Stickers (iOS 17+)
The sticker feature or the ability to lift out objects from images was introduced in iOS 16 only. But with iOS 17, Apple has introduced the ability to add a sticker on top of a picture natively on iPhone. This is possible using the stickers feature in the Markup tool.
Basically, you need to create a sticker from a photo and add that sticker on top of another photo. However, please note that creating stickers is possible only from images that are distinct from their background.
Follow these steps to add a sticker on top of a picture on an iPhone:
1. Open the background picture in the Apple Photos app on which you want to add a sticker.
2. Tap on the Edit option at the top followed by the Markup icon.
3. Tap on the (+) Add icon at the bottom and select Add Sticker from the menu.
4. Press the Sticker tab, if it isn’t selected. Then, tap on the (+) button and select the image that you want to add to the first image.
5. Your iPhone will automatically detect and lift the object out of the picture. Tap on Add Sticker.
6. The sticker or the picture will show up in the list of stickers. Tap on it to add to your main picture.
7. Use the tiny dots on the picture to resize it. Or, hold and drag the picture sticker to change its position.
8. Tap on Done followed by Done again to add a cutout to the photo The new image will show up in the Apple Photos app.
Please note that the picture will be added to the original image only and not its copy. You can revert to the original image by going to Edit > Revert. As of now, you cannot add the entire picture on top of another picture natively. For that, check the other methods mentioned below.
Tip: Know how to enable and use contact posters on iPhone.
Method 4. Using Instagram
If you are an avid Instagram user, you can insert a picture on another picture while creating Instagram Stories as well.
To do so, follow these steps:
1. First, copy the picture that you want to insert into a picture. To copy an image on an iPhone, open it in the Photos app, tap the three-dot icon, and select Copy. You can even copy photo stickers.
2. Go to the story creation screen on Instagram. Select the background picture.
3. Then, touch and hold anywhere on the picture until the text options show up.
4. Touch and hold again on the typing area and select Paste from the menu. The copied picture will be pasted on the existing picture.
5. Hit the three-dot icon and select Save from the menu to download the image to your phone.
Tip: Learn how to change your Instagram story background.
Method 5. Using Shortcut
A Reddit user has created an amazing shortcut that will add a picture on top of another picture on an iPhone. You can also use it to paste a sticker in iOS 17 on top of another picture.
Here are the steps to use this shortcut:
1. Install and open the Apple Shortcut app on your iPhone.
2. Next, open the Overlay images shortcut link on your iPhone and tap on the Add shortcut button.
3. The Overlay images shortcut will show up in the Apple Shortcuts app. Now, there are two ways to use this shortcut. You can either run the shortcut from the Shortcut app or run it from any app by sharing the image to the Overlay image shortcut.
Method 1: Run Image Overlay Shortcut From the Shortcut App
1. Open the Apple Shortcuts app and tap on the Overlay images shortcut.
2. Select the foreground picture first i.e., the image that you want to add on top of the background picture. Then, select the background picture.
3. Move or resize the picture using regular gestures, Or, tap on the Opacity button to adjust the transparency of the foreground picture. Finally, tap on Done.
4. Then, tap on Done again to save the final image to your iPhone or hit the Share icon to send the image.
Method 2: Run Image Overlay Shortcut From Share Sheet
If you are browsing your pictures in an app like Apple Photos, Files, etc., you can insert an image on top of another from those apps as well.
1. Launch the Apple Photos app on your iPhone.
2. Now, open the foreground picture. You can add it as it is by tapping on the Share icon followed by selecting Overlay images from the Share sheet. Then, jump to step 3.
Or, you can remove the picture’s background first by using the sticker feature of iOS. For that, touch and hold the part of the picture that you want to retain until a white glow appears on the image. Then, tap on the Share icon and select Overlay images.
3. The shortcut will start running. Then, select the background picture on which you want to add the picture selected in step 2.
4. Resize or reposition the foreground image and hit the Done button.
4. Tap on Done to save the image to your iPhone or use the Markup tool to draw on the image.
Tip: Check out other cool shortcuts for power users.
Edit Pictures on iPhone
Those were different ways to add a picture to another picture on iPhone. Apart from that, learn how to put two pictures side by side in iPhone. Also, know how to combine multiple pictures into PDF on iOS.