Is your iPhone overheating or freezing while using it? Problems can be many, but a simple restart of the iPhone can fix them all. And whether you have a perfectly intact iPhone or a broken iPhone without buttons, we will share the top 4 ways to restart an iPhone. Let’s get going.
Table of Contents
Method 1 – Traditional Restart
This is one of the most popular ways out there to restart an iPhone used by the majority of users. The steps are quite easy, let’s take a look at them.
Pros: The only restart method that gives rest to your iPhone and lets it cool down, as it completely shuts it down for a while.
Cons: It is lengthy and time-consuming, as you have to first shut it down and then turn it on manually, unlike an Android or Samsung Galaxy phone.
1. Press the side button and either of the volume button and keep holding it until you see the power options.
Tip: If you using an older iPhone that has a physical home button, just press and hold the Power button to show the power options.
2. Slide the power icon to the right to turn off your iPhone.
3. Once the iPhone is off, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo on the screen to reboot.
Method 2 – Force Restart
If your iPhone is freezing or becomes unresponsive at times, force restarting the iPhone can really help you get back on track. Here are the simple steps to follow.
Tip: Steps to force restart an older iPhone are similar to the newer ones, so just follow along.
Pros: Works even if your iPhone is not responding to the touches.
Cons: Loss of some unsaved data that was previously open on the screen of the iPhone.
1. Press the volume up button once.
2. Now quickly press the volume down button on your iPhone.
3. After this, keep holding the side button until you see the Apple logo. Once you see the Apple logo leave the side button, your iPhone will now force restart and turn back on automatically.
Also Read: Top 9 Ways to Fix iPhone Keeps Restarting Over and Over.
Method 3 – Restart Without Using Buttons
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of method 1 or have a broken iPhone with some buttons missing, there is another way to restart your iPhone easily. Many people use AssistiveTouch to navigate on their broken iPhones and we will be using the same to do so. Let’s first take a look at the steps to enable AssistiveTouch on your iPhone if not already, and then we will learn how to restart your iPhone using it.
Pros: First, no buttons are needed to restart. Second, you don’t have to turn it on manually.
Cons: Some people can find the floating AssistiveTouch ball annoying.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down and tap on Accessibility.
3. Now tap on Touch.
4. Tap on AssistiveTouch.
5. Turn on the toggle named AssistiveTouch.
6. Now tap on Long Press under the CUSTOM ACTIONS section.
7. Scroll down and select Restart.
Now the custom action for AssistiveTouch has been set on your iPhone. Let’s take a look at the steps to restart your iPhone using AssistiveTouch.
8. Long press on the AssistiveTouch floating ball.
9. A pop-up will appear on the screen, tap on Restart. And your iPhone will restart now.
Method 4 – Restart Using Siri
Siri is a powerful voice assistant on your iPhone. You can also use it to do various things on your iPhone and save some taps. The best part is that Siri can also help you in restarting your iPhone. Here are the steps to do so.
Pros: A quick way to restart an iPhone is by just using voice commands. Plus you don’t need to turn the iPhone back on manually.
Cons: It won’t work if your iPhone is unresponsive or if the mic is not working. Your iPhone needs to be unlocked to let Siri restart your iPhone.
1. Say “Hey Siri” to trigger Siri on your iPhone. Or press and hold the side button to trigger it.
Note: You need to keep your iPhone unlocked to use Siri to restart your iPhone.
2. Say restart my iPhone.
3. It will ask you to confirm restart just say yes, or you can also tap on Restart. And your iPhone will now restart.
Restart iPhone Effectively
Rebooting is a simple yet effective way to troubleshoot many iPhone problems. Is your iPhone restarting automatically? Here is how to prevent an iPhone from restarting randomly.