Facebook and Instagram are both owned by Meta. This is why you see an option to sign in to Instagram using your Facebook credentials. This simple step links both your accounts leading to some side effects like Instagram sharing Posts and Stories to your Facebook account. Thankfully, you don’t need to unlink the two to stop Instagram from posting on Facebook.
Let’s find out how.
Ways to Prevent Instagram from Posting to Facebook
There are three separate ways to do it, each with its merits and demerits.
- Delink Facebook and Instagram – this will keep the two accounts separate and no updates will be cross-posted. However, you cannot use your Facebook ID to sign into Instagram either.
- App Settings (Global) – this will not delink your Facebook account with Instagram but will let you choose if you want to stop sharing stories and/or posts from Instagram to Facebook. So you can still sign in using Facebook on Instagram. Suitable for regular users who want to keep their accounts separate.
- Local Settings (Post-Specific) – this offers more granular control where for every update you post, Instagram will ask if you want to share it on Facebook, or not. More suitable for power users like brands and influencers.
Now that we know our options and what they do, let’s dive deeper and see how these settings work.
1. Delink Facebook and Instagram
As discussed, we will delink Facebook with Instagram for good so the two accounts have nothing to do with each other. No sharing and no caring. The steps are the same for both Android and iOS but I will be using iPhone here as an example. UI may be slightly different.
1. Tap on your profile icon in the bottom bar and select Settings from the Kebab menu (three-bar icon).
2. Tap on Accounts Center at the bottom of the screen and select Profiles at the top.
3. Select the account that you want to unlink which in this case would be Facebook. Tap on Remove From Accounts Center.
4. Tap on Continue on the next screen where you will see a disclaimer on what happens if you go ahead. Then tap on Remove ‘account name’ to finish the process.
Your Instagram account is delinked from Facebook account. Nothing you post on Instagram will be shared on Facebook automatically now. But, you can’t sign in using Facebook credentials either. That means you need to sign in using your email or number and password instead. If you don’t remember or know Instagram account password, click on Forgot Password and enter your email id.
2. Global App Settings to Limit Connectivity
For those who skipped the intro, this method, unlike the previous one, will not delink your Facebook account with Instagram but simply toggle off sharing Instagram Posts and Stories to Facebook setting. The benefit is that you can still use Facebook login credentials to sign in to Instagram without having to worry about Instagram posting to Facebook automatically.
1. Repeat the steps above to open Instagram Settings from the Kebab menu.
2. Tap on Accounts Center at the bottom of the screen and then select Sharing across profiles.
2. Select the Instagram profile here and then simply toggle off Your Instagram story and Your Instagram posts option.
You control what Instagram can post on Facebook. What you choose here will affect and work for all posts and stories as these are global app settings.
3. Control Sharing on Individual Post/Story Level
Every time you post a Story or add a Post on Instagram, there is a toggle that when enabled, will share the same Story or Post on Facebook too. But for that work, your Instagram account needs to be linked to Facebook. Let’s see where that setting is and how it works.
Sharing Instagram Posts to Facebook
When you begin with adding an image or video on Instagram as a post by tapping on the plus icon, you will come across the Share screen right after adding filters and effects. This is where you can toggle off Facebook and other social media sharing options. Tap on Advanced Settings to toggle off Share Your Posts to Facebook option as well.
Sharing Instagram Stories to Facebook
Similarly, when you are creating a Story on Instagram, you will an option to share the story on Facebook. Tap on Send to and then Share.
You can now choose to share your Instagram story on Facebook. If selected, it will be posted on Facebook Story at the same time as Instagram Story.
Story of Instagram and Facebook
You have complete control over how and if your Instagram posts and/or stories are also shared on Facebook. You can choose to delink the two accounts completely, disable cross-platform sharing without delinking for all posts and stories, and control posting to Facebook for individual posts and stories.
Don’t like what you posted? Here’s how you can bulk delete posts on Instagram. A better alternative is to save posts and stories as drafts for later perusal rather than making them live immediately in the heat of the moment.