BeReal is a social media app that has been trending recently and for good reason. In the first week of August, it became the most downloaded app on the US App Store surpassing TikTok and Instagram. A tall order. Unlike other social media apps, BeReal doesn’t ask for making your photos and lighting perfect. Instead, it asks for a more casual photo of your day. Hence the name BeReal. Here’s what’s BeReal is and how to use it.
Table of Contents
What Is BeReal
Compared to other social media apps, BeReal is different, mostly because of its concept. You can only upload one photo per day and that too only when you receive a notification from BeReal. BeReal sends the notification at a random time of the day and gives only 2 minutes to the user to take a photo of what they are doing. The concept is that you get genuine photos of what your friends are doing at that moment. Also, you can only check out your friends’ BeReal (photos) when you post your own BeReal. However, it is not mandatory to upload a photo.
Unlike other apps, you cannot upload a photo by adding filters, etc. You can only take one photo and upload it. As the time you receive the notification is random, you cannot be ready with makeup, background, etc. Also, there are no likes, no follower counts, or anything. Simply connect with your friends and see who is doing what when the notification was sent.
How to Set Up BeReal
Setting up BeReal is pretty easy. You just need to verify your phone number and connect to your friends via their phone numbers.
2. Open and app and tap on Continue and then tap on the Get Started button to start the set up process.
3. On the next page, enter your name and tap on Continue.
4. Then enter your date of birth and Continue the process.
5. Then tap on the country option and select your country code.
6. Once done, enter your phone number and tap on Continue to verify the number by entering the OTP sent to your phone via message.
7. On the next page, enter your username and then tap on Continue.
8. Give the app permission to access your contacts so BeReal can add your friends to your profile.
9. Once done, you will get a notification saying ‘Time to BeReal’. Tap on it to start posting your first BeReal.
10. Give the app permission to take pictures and videos. Also, provide location access if you prefer to share your location with your friends along with the BeReal. You can choose to not share the location details though.
11. Now take a photo of what you are doing. BeReal doesn’t only take a selfie photo or the rear camera photo, it can take both photos at the same time. Once done, you should find the result of your rear camera and selfie in a small window. You can tap on the selfie to make it bigger. Once done, just tap on the Send arrow to continue the posting process.
12. On the next page, select whether you want to share it with your friends only or if you prefer to share it with everyone. If you chose everyone, it will be posted into the Discover tab and everyone who isn’t even your friends can view your BeReal.
13. Below, you can choose to share the location by enabling the Share my position option. You also have the option to save the Bereal on the device. Once done, tap on the send icon at the bottom right corner.
That’s it, you have successfully created a BeReal account and published your first BeReal.
How to Add Friends on BeReal
The app is quite limited in functionality intentionally, but it becomes more interesting when you add your friends. It feels good to see what your friends are doing for real. To add friends, tap on the people icon at the top left corner. On the next page, you can add people from your contacts.
2. On the other hand, you also have the option to search for their username or phone number manually. Then open their account and tap on Add button to add them as friends.
3. You will only get to be friends on BeReal with someone when they also add you. There is no way to send friend requests on the app. You both just need to add each other to become friends.
How to Post on BeReal Every Day
1. You will get a notification on BeReal at a random time of the day. You just need to tap on the notification and take a photo. As mentioned in the setup process, it will take a photo from both the front camera and the back cameras at the same time.
2. Once done, check your BeReal and tap on Send icon. Here you have the option to retake the BeReal as many times you want before the 2-minute count down ends.
3. On the next page, you can choose to share with only friends or with everyone. Also, you can choose to share your location and save the post to your device. Once done, tap on the send icon at the bottom right to post the BeReal.
4. Once published, you can tap on Add a caption option to add a caption to your BeReal.
While you can retake as many times as you want before posting, once posted, you get only one chance to delete and retake the BeReal.
How to Delete Your Posted BeReals
1. You should find your posted Bereal on the homepage in the MyFriends section. Here, tap on the kebab menu (three-dot menu) to open the My BeReal page.
2. On that page, you can choose to change who can see your BeReal, share it on other platforms, and delete your BeReal. Tap on the Delete my BeReal option.
3. On the next page, choose your reason for deleting your BeReal and tap on the Delete My BeReal button.
4. Upon deleting, your friend’s posts will be blurred, but you can tap on Post a BeReal button and continue the posting process just like before.
5. Once uploaded, you cannot delete your BeReal again. So be sure to retake your BeReal perfectly the second time. You can check it yourself by tapping on the kebab menu.
How to Post Comments and Realmoji on BeReal
1. You can only comment on BeReal’s of your friends but you can send a Realmoji to anyone even in the discover section.
2. On the BeReal, you should see both the comment icon and Realmoji. Just tap on the comment option, enter the comment and send it. You can also mention @users if you want. Anyhow, you cannot comment for comment.
3. Just like comments, you should find the Realmoji icon too. Instead of sending emoji reactions, with Realmojis, you take picture of yourself showing the emotion of your emoji.
4. To delete, long press on the comment or Real Emoji and tap on the delete icon at the top right corner to delete it.
What Are Memories and How to Turn Them Off
1. Another feature of BeReal is Memories. All the BeReals that we post will not be visible to everyone after 24 hours. Anyhow, you can open your profile and check all the posts you have made in a calendar-style layout. This is called Memories in BeReal. Other people cannot see all the photos on your profile either.
2. But in case you don’t want all those photos, you can remove them from Settings. Tap on the profile icon at the top right corner. On the profile page, tap on the kebab menu (three-dot menu) at the top right corner.
3. It will open the Settings page. Select the Memories option under Configurations, and tap on Deactivate Memories.
This will delete all your previous BeReals and your BeReals from now will not be saved under this.
How to Block and Unblock Friends on BeReal
1. To block any friend, just tap on the username in the feed to open the profile. On the profile page, tap on the kebab menu (three-dot menu) and select the Block option to block the particular user.
2. To unban, you can tap on the profile icon at the top right corner, and tap on the kebab menu (three-dot menu) to open Settings.
3. In Settings, tap on Blocked profiles, then tap on the cross icon beside the account that you want to unban.
What happens if you miss a BeReal notification?
No problem, you can still post your BeReal but it will show that you are late to all your contacts. But in case you have swiped away your notification, you can open the app to quickly take a BeReal for that day. You cannot use the app unless you have posted your BeReal for that day.
Can we delete BeReals after posting?
Yes, you can delete it one time and retake your BeReal. But, you cannot delete your Retaken BeReal. That being said, your BeReals will not be available after 24 hours.
Why I am not able to add friends on BeReal?
BeReal has a bug where it still shows Add friend option even when you have added them. You have already sent them the request, now you can just wait for them to add you back so that you can check their BeReals.
How to disable the BeReal account?
As of now, there is no option to disable your account on BeReal. You can log out or uninstall the app to stop getting notifications on your phone.
Time to BeReal
While BeReal is awesome and growing faster, I see three challenges ahead. People can leave the app as it is not as addictive as other social media apps. The app may include more features and monetization options in the future making it another social media platform that thrives on user data. Instagram already started replicating BeReal, so it will be an uphill task to compete with someone with deep pockets for marketing and network effect.