Typically, when you receive a file in the Telegram app, downloading it should save it to your phone and you should be able to access it from the Gallery app or File Manager. However, that doesn’t happen for most users. So where do the Telegram downloaded files go on Android, iPhone, and PC? Let’s find the answer here.
Table of Contents
Where to Find Telegram Downloads on Android and iPhone
Basically, two settings in Telegram impact where your downloads go. The first one is Automatic media download and the other is Save to gallery (Android)/Save Incoming Photos (iPhone).
If Automatic media downloads are enabled, the files will be downloaded automatically to the Telegram app but you cannot access them outside Telegram. That is, they will automatically show up once received in the Telegram app. You don’t need to tap on the received files in order to view them.
But as mentioned, you can only access them within the Telegram app. You will have to manually save these files to either the Gallery app or File Manager as shown below. Photos and videos can be saved to the Gallery and File Manager both whereas other files like PDFs can only be downloaded to the File Manager.
But, if the Save to Gallery/Save incoming photos setting is enabled, the photos and videos will be downloaded automatically to your phone. You will find received photos in the Gallery app (Android) and Photos app (iPhone). However, even with this setting enabled, you will still need to download other file types manually to your phone.
Tip: Learn how to download multiple photos or videos from Telegram.
How to Manually Save and View Telegram Files in Gallery or File Manager
Download and View Telegram Files on Android
To save a file received on Telegram in the Gallery or File Manager app of your Android phone, follow these steps:
1. Launch the Telegram app and open the chat from which you want to save a file.
2. Tap on the three-dot icon next to the file and select Save to Gallery. You can view the downloaded photo or video in the Gallery app on your phone.
Alternatively, select Save to Downloads to view it from the File Manager app. You will find these files in the Downloads folder of the File Manager app i.e., Internal Storage > Download > Telegram. On some phones, you can also access it from Internal Storage > Android > Media > org.Telegram.messenger > Telegram. Here you will find different folders for each content type.
3. If the above step doesn’t work, tap on the file to view it in full-screen view. Then, tap on the three-dot icon at the top and select Save to Gallery/Save to Downloads.
Note: If you can’t find the downloaded photo or video on the current date in the gallery app, make sure to look for it on the date it was received in the Telegram app.
Download and View Telegram Files on iPhone
1. Launch the Telegram app on your iPhone and open the chat having the photo or video.
2. Tap on the photo or video to open it in full-screen.
3. Tap on the three-dot (Kebab menu) icon at the top and select Save image or Save video. This will download the photo or video to the Photos app.
4. Alternatively, tap on the Share/Forward icon and select Save image/Save video or Save to Files. If you select Save to Files, the file will be accessible from the Files app on your iPhone.
Tip: Know how to speed up Telegram downloads.
How to Automatically Save Telegram Photos to Gallery
If you don’t want to go through the trouble of manually saving photos and videos to your phone, you can enable the Save to gallery feature. Doing so will automatically save the received photos on Telegram to your phone. Such files will show up in the Gallery app (Android) and Photos app (iPhone). Thankfully, you can customize where to save photos from such as chats, channels, or groups.
Automatically Save Telegram Pictures and Videos to Gallery App on Android
1. Open the Telegram app on your phone.
2. Tap on the three-bar icon at the top and select Settings.
3. Tap on Data and Storage.
4. Scroll down to the Save to Gallery section and enable the categories from which you would like to save photos and videos.
Or, tap on these categories to further customize the selection. You can even add exceptions to each category. So if you receive unwanted photos or videos in any particular Telegram group or chat, those will not be saved automatically to your phone.
Tip: To save space, you can keep Save to Gallery enabled while media auto downloads off. That way only the photos that you download will be saved to the gallery.
Download Telegram Pictures Automatically to Photos App on iPhone
1. Launch the Telegram app on your phone and tap on Settings at the bottom.
2. Go to Data and Storage.
3. Scroll down and tap on Save Incoming Photo. Enable the toggle next to the desired category like Private chats, Groups, or Channels from which you want to save photos automatically in the Photos app.
Where to Find Telegram Downloads on PC
Follow these steps to find Telegram downloads on your PC:
1. Open the Telegram app on your desktop.
2. Go to the conversation that sent you the file.
3. Right-click on the received file and select Show in Folder. Here you will find your received files. Alternatively, you can access it directly from the Telegram Desktop folder present in the Downloads folder. Or, go to C:\Users\[Your username]\Downloads\Telegram Desktop.
4. If you don’t find your file in the above folder, right-click again on the file and select Save as. Now, choose the folder where you want to download the received file.
Tip: To change the default download folder for the Telegram app, go to Telegram Settings > Advanced> Download Path.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to clear the Telegram cache on Android and iPhone?
Go to Telegram Settings > Data and storage > Storage usage. Tap on Clear cache.
2. How to view all Telegram files from a chat?
Open the Telegram chat and tap on the name at the top. Scroll down and you will find all the received files.
3. How to customize Automatic Media Download settings on Telegram?
Go to Telegram Settings > Data and Storage. Look for the Automatic Media Download section. Here you will see options like While using mobile data and While using Wi-Fi. You will see which files will be downloaded automatically. You can customize these settings according to your preference.
Tips to Use Telegram
Now that you know where to find your downloads on Telegram, it’s time to check other tips to use Telegram like a pro. Learn how to copy your Telegram profile or channel link and also know how to use animated backgrounds in Telegram.