As per studies, on an average, every smartphone user accesses YouTube at least once in a day. It has become a part of our lives. And while most of us really cherish watching our favorite videos on the YouTube app, there are some instances wherein some unwanted advertisements crop up or the YouTube app develops some lags, diluting the experience. With the increasing ads and performance lags, there came a need to look out for an alternative to the legacy YouTube app on the iOS platform.
In our previous article, we handpicked some of the best YouTube App Alternatives For Android as well as different ways to play YouTube in background. But after shifting to iOS, I found none of them working. Although, you can watch YouTube on Dolphin browser to get background playback and picture in picture effect, but it’s no replacement to a standalone YouTube app. So, after a bit of research, we have lined up some of the best YouTube alternatives
YouTube Alternative Apps for iPhone and iPad
1. Mx Video Player
MxVideo Player is certainly a great freeware available in the Apple app store. The app is well designed and supports all devices using iOS 7 and above. It has a simple user interface and the navigation panel is quite neat. The app offers most of the key features from YouTube. You can also sign-in to YouTube from MxTube and watch and subscribe to your favorite channels. The best part is that you can also access Vimeo, YouTube, Dailymotion, and one can also access videos from other services by simply copy-pasting the URL.
- Switch the video quality from 280p to 720p and more
- Add videos to your own folders
- Closed captioning support
- Play videos in the background, or via remote control
- Make an advanced search for videos and channels and more.
- A bit difficult to understand in one go
- Saving views in iOS 7 and other may be a bit of a problem.
- Intrusive ads
2. Video Tube
Video Tube free is another high-quality app that allows users to stream YouTube videos. It is specifically optimized for iPhones and iPads providing the most of YouTube features for a seamless experience. You can operate it with a simple widget that opens from the notification center. The search functionality is great and the app is available for free to download from the app store. One can access videos from YouTube, Dailymotion, and other video streaming services as well. I liked the quality of the content curation and the trending section across different categories.
- The app is faster and allows you to login to your YouTube account easily
- You can browse and subscribe to various channels and post comments to videos
- Maintain a history of watched videos; and much more.
- Takes time to load the thumbnails
- Lacks support for some codecs when it comes to local files.
This freeware is another useful app for the task. VidMate for YouTube offers a crisp user interface covering most of the features from YouTube. The app also comes with an option that lets you stream only the audio from a video file. All said and done VidMate is mostly for music video lovers and the app curates the content in an understandable manner. The floating video window is a nice touch it works somewhat similar to the Picture in Picture mode.
- Standard feature to switch video quality from 280p to 1080p
- App can keep YouTube playing in background iPhone and iPad
- Support using a remote control, as well as rate, comment, and share videos
- Some of its features are complicated and need improvement.
- The interface through crisp can be enhanced for more user engagement
MyTube is one such app that is deemed to be one of the most powerful YouTube clients. It contains all the features you need to seamlessly stream YouTube videos. The app is quite easy to use. But, the best part about MyTube is that you can choose the default region for the suggested videos are associated with. So if you are willing to know what’s popular in a particular region or a foreign country, you can easily set that region as default.All said and done the categories are exhaustive in nature and you can switch between anything from Rap to Meditation music. That being said I wonder why the app has so fewer reviews on the Apple Store
- It has a great user interface
- Offers a great overall user experience.
- Allows users to choose the video quality, rate & comment on videos, and save your own folders, create a playlist, etc.
- Some of its features need improvement to enhance user experience.
5. Tube Master
This app has a classy blend of the native YouTube app and the iOS layout. You might take up a while to get accustomed to its layout, but once you have worked your way around it, you’ll be pleased to find a lot of goodness packed in. To be frank all of these apps remind me to what extent YouTube lacks when it comes to content curation and content discovery. It is super easy to set up a playlist and also arranges the videos according to your priority. That being said I had a hard time using the app since most of the videos redirect to Vevo, a video service that is not accessible in select regions like India.
- The app has quite a handful of productive features such as swipe gestures to control the volume and playback options that include going back or jumping forward for 10 seconds.
- The app also allows you to choose your default region and provides background audio capabilities.
- A complicated UI and UX which makes it a less preferred app.
- Sluggish and tends to hang your phone
The NetTube app may not be one of the most beautifully laid-out apps, but it offers its users to seamlessly perform rapid searches on both YouTube and SoundCloud. The app is more focused on Music, so if you are typically looking for an alternative to YouTube for playing music videos, this is your go-to app. I love how the app categorizes songs based on the mood and the best part is that it plays Vevo videos even in non-supported regions! If you are on a lookout for new tracks the Discover section will come in handy.
Another cool thing about NetTube is that you can use this app to watch age restricted YouTube videos without signing In.
- The app supports YouTube playing in background in iPhone and iPad
- A ‘Sleep’ setting that allows users to automatically stop the playback after a set period of time
- Useful for individuals who like to doze off while listening to their favorite tracks.
- One needs to get into the nitty-gritty of the app to understand even the basic features.
AudioViz is another app for music lovers and probably the best one for playing music videos. This app has a powerful audio rendering. The app’s interface is highly responsive and you can find everything you need under a single window. This is probably the only app that screens out the music from your library and suggests a corresponding YouTube video for them. Users can also manage and edit playlists that spread across different genres and categories. My favorite is the the auto playlist creation feature. With this, the app will ask for your favorate artist and then automatically create a playlist of their best songs till date.
- The app makes it very easy for the users to find their kind of music and watch it on the go.
- The app’s user interface is brilliantly well-designed and very user-friendly.
- Not only does it suggest the original tracks, it also shows you the different versions and remixes for the same tracks.
- There’s practically nothing negative about the app.
TubeX is one the most popular YouTube alternative app for iPhone. Unlike other apps in the list, TubeX comes with a material and sleak interface.
The app provides you an option to login to your YouTube account, however, if you don’t want to that, you can still create playlists without signing in. It also support video history option.
Overall, the app is great, there are no ads and offers great resolution.
Wrapping Up: YouTube Alternative Apps for iPhone and iPad
While the list of similar apps is huge, these are the top 7 alternatives for YouTube on your iOS device. If you are looking for something more specific and want to explore further, try a simple search on the App store with the relevant keywords that suit your requirement.