When you have a server with a lot of channels, users, and rules to follow, it can be overwhelming for the new joiners to get hold of your server. You can easily solve this issue with a welcome screen introducing your server to the new users. By simply following the Discord welcome screen, users can know where they can read server rules, participate in general discussions, check announcements, and more. Let me show you how to quickly set up a welcome screen on Discord using the native method. No bot required.
How to Setup Welcome Screen on Discord
To set up a welcome screen on Discord, first, you need to enable the community option for your Discord server. Here’s how to enable the community settings and set up the Welcome Screen on Discord. If you have already enabled the community option, skip to step 9 directly.
1. Open the Discord desktop app or website in your favorite browser. Now select the Server that you want to add a welcome screen to.
2. On the server page, select the server name at the top left and then click on Server Settings in the drop-down menu. If you don’t see Server Settings, your profile is not eligible to access it. Contact the admin or the one in a higher role to do it for you.
3. In the Server Settings, choose the Enable Community option in the left sidebar.
4. On the Community page, click on the Get Started button
5. Now toggle on the checkbox beside Verified email required and Scan media content from all members. Then click on Next.
6. Here, select the channels that Discord should send rules and guidelines and community updates. If you don’t have any channels for them but want one, select Create one for me and click Next.
7. Now enable the checkbox beside Default notifications to Members only and Remove moderation permissions from @everyone. You don’t have to manually do them. By enabling the checkbox, Discord will automatically change the settings for you.
8. Then select I agree and understand checkbox and click on the Finish Setup option. You have now enabled your server as a community. Now you can set up the Welcome Screen on Discord.
9. To set up, click on the Welcome Screen button under the Community section.
10. Here, click on Set up Welcome Screen button.
11. In the pop-up that opened, select a channel that new users should first check out. This can be a rules channel or discussion. Just select according to your needs. Below that set a relatable emoji for the channel and describe the channel for the new users. Once done, click on Save.
12. After adding the channel, the pop-up will close and give you an option to add 4 more channels like this. To do that, click on Add another channel option below.
13. This should open the pop-up again for you to add another channel and it’s the description and emoji.
14. Once you have added all the channels that you think will be helpful to new users, enter a description for the server itself. This will act as the welcome message and also explain what your server is really about clearly.
15. Once done, click on the Preview option at the top.
16. This should show you what your welcome screen will look like when a new user joins your server.
17. If you are satisfied with the result, click on the Enable button above. That’s it. Now when any new user joins the server, they should see the welcome screen on both desktop and mobile.
Who can create the Welcome Screen on Discord server?
Server admin, moderators, or anyone who can open server settings can create, customize, and edit the welcome screen on that Discord server. If you cannot access server settings, contact someone with an eligible role to create a welcome screen on your behalf.
Can we create the Welcome Screen on the smartphone?
No, you cannot set up the Welcome Screen from the Discord mobile app. Also, you cannot set it up from mobile browser app even in the desktop mode.
Are all servers eligible for the Welcome Screen feature?
Yes, every server can enable the community feature and therefore the Welcome Screen. There are no eligibility criteria nor a payment process involved in between.
How to disable the Welcome Screen?
Open Server settings > Welcome Screen and then click on Disable button to disable the welcome screen you created. You can also click on the pencil icon beside each channel and edit it.
Warm Welcome to New Users
By enabling the Community feature on your Discord server along with Welcome Screen, you unlock additional features such as Server Insights, your server on Discord Discovery section, Announcements directly from Discord, and most importantly, you get the ability to apply for the Discord Partner program.