Are you tired of people you don’t know following you? Do you want to keep your tweets private? X (previously Twitter) lets you make your account private or public if you prefer to interact with many people and increase your circle. In this article, we will explore how you can make your X (Twitter) account private/public on both desktop and mobile apps. Also, we will explain what happens when you make the change to your privacy setting. So let’s begin.
Table of Contents
Make X (Twitter) Account Private/Public on Desktop
1. Open the X (Twitter) website and click on the More option in the sidebar.
2. Then in the pop-up menu, click on Settings and support and select the Settings and privacy option in the drop-down to open X (Twitter) settings.
3. Now select the Privacy and safety option in Settings, then click on the Audience and tagging option.
4. Now just enable the toggle beside Protect your Tweets option to make your account private. Disable it to make your account public again.
Make X (Twitter) Account Private/Public on Mobile
1. Open the X (Twitter) app on your iPhone or Android phone and tap on the profile pic in the top left corner. Now on the sidebar, select the Settings and support option and then select the Settings and privacy option.
2. Here select the Privacy and safety option and then select the Audience and tagging option.
3. Now enable the toggle beside Protect your Tweets option to make your account private. Disable it to make your account public.
What Happens When You Make X (Twitter) Account Private
In case you are wondering what changes take place once you make your account private, here’s everything that you need to know.
1. Your tweets and retweets can only be viewed by your followers.
2. Your followers cannot retweet your tweets.
3. Users have to send you a request before they can follow you.
4. Your tweets will only be visible in X (Twitter) search results for your followers. They will not appear on Google Search or any other search engine at all.
5. Your replies will not be seen by anyone else except your followers. Even users whom you replied to cannot access your reply unless you follow them.
6. Your profile page will show the display name, profile pic, cover pic, and bio to all the users. They can also check your following and follower count. But they cannot check the following or followers list.
7. Turning your X profile to private will have no impact on who can DM you. You can change DM settings from Privacy and safety option in settings and then select the Direct Messages option to configure.
What Happens When You Make X (Twitter) Account Public
X’s (Twitter) account is public by default. But if you are changing your private account to public, then here’s everything that you need to know about what happens.
1. All the users can read all the tweets and retweets you have made when your account was private.
2. Everyone can follow you without first sending you a request.
3. Your tweets will be visible to everyone on the X (Twitter) search and even listed on Google and other search engine results.
4. Anyone can retweet your tweet and not just your followers.
5. Also, anyone can reply to your tweets. But You can restrict that on each tweet using the ‘Who can reply’ option.
Making X Account Private/Public
With the above method, you can turn your account into a public or private account. In case you don’t want to turn your entire account into a private account, you can choose to share specific tweets only with your Twitter circle. More than that, you can also choose who can reply to these tweets. With these settings, you can set a few restrictions without making your account private.
Want to make your Instagram account private too? Here’s what happens when you make your Instagram account private/public and how to do it.