Have you made some comments using Disqus that you now regret or just want to start fresh? Whatever might be the reason, if you are looking to delete your Disqus comments, you need to find the comment first and delete it one by one. Unfortunately, Disqus doesn’t provide an easy way to delete your comments in bulk. Thankfully, there is a workaround that doesn’t require you to do delete all your comments one by one manually. We will also discuss how to delete Disqus account below. Let’s see how.
Deleting Disqus Comments
You don’t need to surf the internet to find the comment that you made on some random website on a random blog post. Disqus provides a dashboard where you can track all your Disqus comments in one place. You can check all your comments and delete the ones that you want to.
1. First open the Disqus homepage. You will be logged in already if you have made comments on Disqus before. If not, log in now.
2. On the homepage, you will find your username and the number of comments you have. Click on Comments option to check out all your comments.
3. Here find the comment that you want to delete and click on the View in discussion option below the comment as you cannot delete the comment directly from the Disqus website.
4. Once you are on the webpage, find your comment. Just click on the down arrow at the top right of your comment and select Delete.
That’s it. You have deleted your comment. But this becomes hard and time-consuming when you have to delete a lot of comments. Instead, you can delete all your comments completely by deleting your Disqus account and creating a new one with the same email id.
How to Delete your Disqus Account
If you want to delete comments in bulk, the only option is to delete the Disqus account. But before getting into it, remember that Disqus takes around 24 hours to completely remove your account. So if you try to create a new one within this time period, it will say the account already exists.
Having said that, here’s how you can delete your Disqus account.
1. Go to the Disqus homepage. You will be logged in already but if not, log in now.
2. Now click on the cog icon at the top right corner of the page and then select Settings from the pop-up menu.
3. Once you are in Settings, select Account and scroll down to the bottom where you can see the Delete your Disqus account option. Click on the Delete button under it.
4. On the next page, select the reason that you are deleting the account, enter your Disqus password and click on the Delete my account button.
That’s it. Your Disqus account should be deleted and you can create a new account with the same email id after the next 24 hours.
No, only the comments without replies will be deleted. If your comment has any replies, the comment will display anonymous as the name instead of your real name.
Yes, you can restore the account within the next 30 days. You can also use the same email id to log in again. The login process will help you to restore the deleted account. Remember, if you have created a new account with the same email, then your account won’t be recoverable anymore.
It takes around 24 hours to delete your account. Until then, your comments shall be visible but you cannot access the account.
No, but you can make your account private in the settings. So no one can follow you or check out your other comments.
Wrap Up: Delete Disqus Comments and Account
Disqus is a popular commenting system. It is sad to see how difficult it made it to delete comments in bulk. To their credit, I think there is no better way because comments are left on blogs and hence commenter needs to visit the blog first in order to delete the comment. Disqus dashboard can only read that data but there is no write access it seems. This is all just theory though. The only solution then remains is to delete Disqus account altogether.