It is important to have a strong Wi-Fi password to protect your data from intruders. However, what if your friends or guests ask for your Wi-Fi password? You may not mind them using Wi-Fi, but sharing long and complex passwords can be inconvenient for you. So to make your life easier, we have created a list of ways to share your Wi-Fi password from your iPhone to Android, Windows, other iPhones, and Macs without disclosing your password to anyone.
Table of Contents
We all know how well Apple devices work with each other, so sharing your Wi-Fi password with other iPhone users would be a piece of cake. And in this article, we will share two methods to do so.
Method 1: The Apple Way
Before we proceed with this method, you have to meet the following conditions:
1. Both iPhones are running on iOS 11 or later versions.
2. Turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on both devices.
3. Both parties have each other’s Apple ID saved to their contacts list.
Once you fulfill the above criteria, you can follow the below steps:
1. On the receiving device, open the Settings app and select the Wi-Fi option.
2. Next, tap on the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to.
3. Now on the host device, you will get an alert prompt stating whether you want to share your Wi-Fi password. Hit the Share Password button.
Within a few seconds, the receiving device will gain access to your wireless network.
4. Once the password is successfully shared, you can hit the Done button.
Method 2: Using the 3rd Party App
The problem with the first method is that you must have each other’s Apple ID saved in the contacts list, which can become a nuisance when you want to share your Wi-Fi password with someone who is not even in your contacts list. Like mutual acquaintance.
To deal with this problem, we will be using the 3rd party app called Visual Codes to generate a QR code for our Wi-Fi network. This way, not only we will eliminate the hassle we have to go through in the first method but also be able to share our WI-Fi password with any device, including Android and Windows users.
Here’s how it works:
1. Open the App Store on your iPhone and download the Visual Codes app.
2. Now open the app and tap on the Add Code button.
3. From the list of actions, select Connect To Wi-Fi option and then enter your Wi-Fi credentials. Make sure your Wi-Fi name is the same as your Wi-Fi network connection.
4. Once done, tap on the Create Code button, and when prompted, again hit the Create Code button.
Now, whenever you want to share your Wi-Fi password with any iPhone or iPad user, you can simply ask them to scan your QR code with their Camera app, and their device will instantly connect to your Wi-Fi network.
You can even take a printout of the QR code and stick it in your home or office for anyone to connect to your Wi-Fi connection.
Since both iOS and Android are completely different operating systems, you can’t expect any straightforward method to connect to a Wi-Fi network from iPhone.
So here too, we will be using the Visual Codes app to share the Wi-Fi password with an Android user.
1. Since you have already learned how to generate a QR code using Visual Codes (refer to the above section), the only thing you have to do is show the other person your QR code and ask him/her to point their camera at the QR.
2. Connect to Network (with name) prompt will appear on the screen. Tap on it and the Android device will be connected to your wireless network.
Note: Before you proceed further, make sure your PC or laptop has a working webcam.
With the help of Visual Codes, you can even share your wireless password from your iPhone to Windows. But there’s a catch. In the above methods, we could easily connect to a Wi-Fi network using the smartphone’s default camera app, but that’s not possible with the Windows PC. The default camera app on Windows 10 or 11 is simply not capable of scanning the QR code, so you will need to install a third-party app on your Windows PC.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on it:
1. Download the Wi-Fi QR Code Scanner from the Microsoft Store.
2. Next, open the app and click on the Yes button to give access to your camera.
3. Now open the Visual Codes app on your iPhone and select the Wi-Fi network that you would like to share.
4. Then point your QR code towards the Windows webcam. Make sure your QR code is within the frame and your phone brightness is not that high.
5. Once the scan is successful, a pop-up with three options will appear. Click on the Connect button.
That’s it. You have successfully shared your Wi-Fi security key from your iPhone to Windows.
The method employed here is similar to what you saw in the “iPhone to iPhone” section. Therefore, make sure you follow all the same conditions before moving forward.
Once you’ve taken care of that, follow the below instructions:
1. Go to the Wi-Fi Settings by clicking on the Wi-Fi icon on your Mac.
2. Select the Wi-Fi network that you wish to join and then click on the Connect button.
3. Now unlock your iPhone and tap the Share Password button.
4. After successfully sharing the password, you can tap on the Done button.
Apart from these methods, you can even use the Shortcuts app to create a QR code for sharing your Wi-Fi connection. However, the process is a little complicated, so we decided to only cover simple methods that would not force you to scratch your head.
In case you want to monitor what people are doing on your Wi-Fi network, you can check out our detailed guide on it.