Discord is a great place to hang out with your buddies. You can use the screen share option in the Discord voice channel to stream whatever is playing on your screen. But services like Netflix, Prime Video, etc. are DRM protected, which means when you stream, your friends would only see a black screen instead of the movie or show streaming. But you can easily bypass the DRM protection by changing a few settings on your browser and the Discord app.
Once done, you can stream Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus, Hulu, HBO Max, Paramount Plus, Peacock, or any other streaming service on Discord with your friends using a browser.
Let’s get started.
Before Streaming Netflix, Prime Video or Disney on Discord
First of all, apps from streaming services do not work. You need to use these services by signing in on the browser. Even then, there are two problems we need to solve ⏤ audio and video.
Fix Audio While Streaming on Discord
Let’s take Netflix as an example. If you are using Discord and Netflix on the same browser, then audio isn’t a problem. Your friends can listen to the audio playing on the Netflix app. You don’t need to fix any audio issues.
But if you want to use the Discord app, there is one small setting you need to change first.
1. Open Discord settings by clicking on the Cog icon at the bottom left corner.
2. In Settings, scroll down and select the Activity Status menu in the sidebar. Here click on Add it! option beside Not seeing your game?
3. Now click on the drop-down menu and select the browser that you use for streaming. Once done, click on Add Game.
This will add the browser as a game and will allow audio streaming even when you are using the Discord app.
Fix Video While Streaming on Discord
Your friends will only see a black screen when you share the screen while using streaming services like Netflix, Prime Video, and Discord Plus on Discord. This problem will exist irrespective of whether you use the Discord desktop or web app. To bypass it, you need to disable hardware acceleration.
To disable hardware acceleration on browser:
On Google Chrome and other Chromium-based browsers, open the three-dot menu > Settings > Advanced > System and disable the toggle beside Use hardware acceleration when available.
On Firefox, Open the three-dot menu > Settings > General and scroll down to the Performance section. Here uncheck the checkbox beside Use recommended performance settings. It will open a few settings to manually configure. Just uncheck the checkbox beside Use hardware acceleration when available.
If you use the Discord app, you also need to disable hardware acceleration on the Discord app.
To disable hardware acceleration on the Discord app:
Open Discord App > Cog Icon to open Discord Settings > Advanced and turn off the toggle beside Hardware acceleration. Then click the Okay button on the pop-up to confirm.
How to Stream Netflix, Disney Plus, and Prime Video on Discord
Once you have disabled the hardware acceleration, you can start streaming using Discord.
Using Discord on the Browser
1. Open Discord and select the server and then the voice channel where you want to stream content with friends.
2. Clicking once to enter the voice channel. Click again to open the voice channel and use the option to stream.
3. In the voice channel, select the Share your Screen icon at the bottom.
4. Select the browser tab and then the tab in which you are streaming the movie (for example, Netflix or Prime Video).
5. That’s it, you can begin streaming and everyone in that voice channel can view your stream.
Using the Discord App
1. Open the Discord app and select the server that you want to stream.
2. Now click on the Stream icon at the bottom left above the username bar. This will appear when you add the browser as a game and when the browser has launched in the background. So if you cannot find this option, just open the browser and check again.
3. This will open a pop-up where you can set the voice channel, resolution, and frame rate.
4. Once done, click on the Go Live button. This will open the voice channel and display the stream to your friends.
Discord Night Outs
You can easily bypass the DRM Protection simply by using the in-built Discord and browser tools without any third-party apps or Discord bots. Streaming directly using Netflix or Prime Video app will not work, but you can play in the browser to get the same result. Just disable the hardware acceleration option in the browser. And if you want to use the Discord app, again, turn off hardware acceleration but in the Discord app. That’s it. Now you can share the streaming screen and enjoy your Discord night-outs. When it comes to YouTube, you get even better integration with Discord as you can control everything directly from within Discord.