The default Contacts app on iPhone can turn into a mess with duplicate entries. It can also create confusion during incoming calls. Let’s say you have duplicate contacts with the ‘Max’ name. The Phone app will display ‘Max or Max’ on the incoming call screen. Thanks to a new add-on in iOS 16, Apple has made it quite easy to remove duplicate contacts on iPhone.
Remove Duplicate Contacts on iPhone
You can either use the default Contacts app or take a helping hand from a third-party app to merge duplicate contacts on iPhone. We will first show you the native method and then move to other options.
1. Remove Duplicate Contacts on iPhone Natively
If you run iOS 16 or higher version on your iPhone, the ability to find and remove duplicate contacts is built into the Contacts app.
Note: iOS 16 is available in Public Beta right now. You can test the upcoming iOS software from the Apple Beta Software Program or wait till the fall to receive an official update.
Once you receive iOS 16, follow the steps below to install it on your phone.
1. Open Settings on iPhone.
2. Scroll to the General menu.
3. Open Software Update.
4. Download and install the latest iOS 16 on iPhone.
After successful installation, go through the steps to remove duplicate contacts on iPhone.
1. Open Contacts app on your iPhone.
2. You can check your iCloud, Gmail, and Outlook contacts.
3. Select All Contacts at the top.
4. The Contacts app will find duplicates and show them at the top. Tap Duplicates Found.
5. Check duplicate cards from the following menu.
6. You can either go into the individual card and merge it or hit the Merge All button at the bottom and confirm your decision.
The Contacts app will merge all duplicates to simplify the list.
2. Cleaner Pro
iOS 16 is incompatible with many old iPhone models. Besides, not everyone wants to install the latest OS update from day one. If you are among those, use a third-party app called Cleaner Pro to remove duplicate contacts on your iPhone.
1. Download and install Cleaner Pro from the App Store.
Download – Cleaner Pro
2. Open the app and permit it to access contacts.
3. Select Duplicate Contacts from the Contacts tab.
4. Go to the Merge menu and check possible contacts merging.
5. You can expand Duplicate Contacts at the top to deselect incorrect cards.
6. Once satisfied with the list, hit the Merge button at the bottom.
3. Smart Cleaner
Smart Cleaner is another useful app to remove duplicate contacts on iPhone. Apart from merging duplicate contacts, you can free up space, hide photos, use different widgets, and use other functions in the app.
1. Download and install Smart Cleaner from the App Store.
Download – Smart Cleaner
2. Give all the required permissions to access photos and contacts on iPhone.
3. Open the Contacts menu.
4. Check the Duplicates menu.
5. Hit the Select All button at the top or select contacts manually.
6. Tap the Merge button, and you are good to go.
The contacts merge function is free to use. Other features are behind a paywall that starts at $50 per year.
Avoid Duplicate Contacts on iPhone
In most cases, you will end up with duplicate contacts when you sync contacts from iCloud, Gmail, and Outlook. You can disable sync for Gmail or Outlook contact and avoid duplication on iPhone. Follow the steps below.
1. Open Settings on iPhone.
2. Scroll to the Contacts menu.
3. Select Accounts.
4. Open an account and disable contacts toggle from the following menu.
Simplify Contacts List on iPhone
You can always manually delete duplicate contacts on your iPhone. But it’s a tedious and time-consuming process. Instead, you can try the tricks above and merge duplicate contacts in no time. Don’t forget to disable Gmail or Outlook contacts if you no longer use them on your iPhone to avoid clutter.