Wondering what Android phone model you own? Whether you want to fix some issue with your Android phone or you want to sell it secondhand, knowing your Android phone’s model name and number is important. With the sheer number of Android phones released every year from different manufacturers with their own customized OS, it can be hard to find even simple things. No matter what Android phone you are using, we will show you how to find your Android phone’s model number and name.
Table of Contents
Difference Between Android Phone’s Model Name and Number
In case you are wondering what is the difference between an Android phone’s model name and model number, you are not alone. The name is nothing but the name of the product like Samsung Galaxy S22, Pixel 6a, etc. It is commonly used in marketing and something many people already know.
These companies also assign a model number to every model they release. In most cases, each Android phone model is assigned one number. But in some cases, the model number changes according to the specifications like chipset, RAM, storage, carrier, country, etc. For example, the Samsung Galaxy S21 model has around 7 model numbers depending on the chipset, country, and the carrier selling the device. So the model number of your device is more precise and important than simply knowing the model name.
Pro Tip: Are you selling your Android phone or buying one? Learn how to safely transfer Google Authenticator codes to a new phone.
Before Getting Started
There are actually a couple of ways you can find the model name and number of your Android phone without getting too technical.
1. Check the box your Android phone arrived in. You should find the model name written all around the package. The model number should be printed on the sticker placed at the bottom of the box. On some boxes, the sticker may be found on the side. This should be enough to help you find the model name and the number of your Android phone. But some OEM manufacturers like Redmi do not print model numbers on the stickers of some of their models.
2. Check the backside of your phone. Though the practice of printing the model number on the back of a phone has been discontinued over the years, you should be able to find it on most old devices. Some manufacturers like Samsung, Nothing, etc. still print the model number on the back of the phone for a few models.
3. You can also try revisiting the shopping history of the e-commerce site you purchased your Android phone. You should be able to find your Android phone’s model name and model number in the product description.
Still don’t know what Android phone model or number your device is? There are other ways to answer this question. Read along.
How to Know What Android Phone Model I Have
Let’s start with the obvious
1. Check From the Android Settings
You will find both the model name and the model number of your Android smartphone in the Settings app itself. But because every Android manufacturer has their own version of the Settings app, the process is a bit different for different phones. But do not worry, we have covered multiple ways so there is something for everyone irrespective of the make and model of your Android smartphone.
1. Open the Settings app on your Android phone from the app drawer.
2. Now scroll down and select the About phone or About device option.
3. Here you should find the Device name option which should have the model name by default. But this can be edited, so if the owner has changed the name of the device, you will not see the model name here.
4. But you can check the Model number of the Android phone here on phones from Samsung, Oppo, Realme, Nothing, etc.
5. Some manufacturers hide the model number even deeper. On Pixel phones, you will find the model number hidden under the Regulatory labels option. Other manufacturers hide it under the Hardware info or Status option.
6. You should be able to find the model number from Settings. Now simply Google that model number to find the model name of your phone.
2. Third-Party Apps
If you are not able to find your Android phone’s model number from Settings, try using third-party system info apps.
1. Open the Play Store, search and download the CPU-Z app.
2. Once installed, open the app and select the Device tab.
3. You should find the model number of your device beside the Model heading.
4. Now search for that model number on Google to find the model name of the Android phone.
3. Find With IMEI
If your phone isn’t switching on, nor the box of the phone has the model number, then your best bet is to use the IMEI number.
1. First you need to find the IMEI number of your Android phone. If you can switch on the phone, open the phone app and dial *#06# to check your IMEI number. You will also find the IMEI number on the phone’s backside or the box it came in.
2. If you have logged in with your Google account on that device, open Find my device and select your phone. Here you should find the model name. Now click on the (i) icon beside the name, and it will reveal the IMEI number.
3. Now go to IMEI check website, enter the IMEI number of your Android phone, and click on the Check IMEI button.
4. It should show your model number in a pop-up window.
My Android Phone’s Model Name and Number
Previously, it was possible to remove the Android phone’s battery where you would find the model number inside. In case you have an old phone with a removable battery, you can try that too. But these days, phones with removable batteries are rare or even non-existent. Settings, System Info apps, and IMEI Checker are your best bet to find the model name and number of your Android smartphone. In case none of the options are working for you, call or visit the service center as a last resort.