If you have recently switched to a Samsung Galaxy phone, you might be wondering how to put the phone in silent mode since it lacks a physical mute button. Well, there are multiple ways to enable silent or mute mode on your Samsung phone. You can do it from quick tiles, settings, volume buttons, Bixby routines, and more. Let’s check all ways to silence a Samsung Galaxy phone.
How to Enable Silent Mode on Samsung Galaxy Phone
1. From Quick Tiles
One of the easiest and fastest ways to enable mute or silent mode on Samsung Galaxy phones is from Quick Tiles. You will find the Sound icon in Quick tiles that you need to press to cycle between Vibration and Mute modes.
The Vibration mode will silence calls and notifications but the phone will still vibrate. On the other hand, the Mute mode will turn off both the sound and vibration.
1. Swipe down twice from any screen to open the Quick tiles section.
2. If you see the Sound tile, tap on it once to enable Vibration mode and tap twice to enable Mute. You will see that the tile name changes to reflect the change as you press it.
If you don’t see the Sound tile or you need to swipe left multiple times to get to the Sound tile, then you can add it to the first section of the Quick tile for quicker access.
For that, follow these steps:
1. Open the Quick tiles section.
2. Press the three-dot icon at the top-right corner and select Edit buttons from the menu.
3. Touch and hold the Sound tile to move it to the first page of Quick tiles. Check out the best apps to customize quick settings.
2. From Settings
You can also put your Samsung phone in silent mode from settings.
1. Open Settings on your phone.
2. Tap on Sounds and vibration. On the next screen, tap on the circle under Mute to activate it. That will silence your Samsung phone until you manually turn it off.
After you enable Mute, the Temporary mute option will show up. You can use it to temporarily mute your phone for a set duration like 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, or set a custom time.
3. Using Volume Keys
The traditional way of putting a Samsung phone to silent is to use the volume keys. Please note that this method will put the phone in vibration mode and not in complete silent mode.
If you are okay with that, you must make sure that the volume keys change the ring volume instead of the media volume. Here are the steps in detail.
1. Open Settings on your Samsung Galaxy phone.
2. Go to Sounds and vibration followed by Volume.
3. Turn off the toggle next to the Use Volume keys for media. Now, the volume keys will be used to increase or decrease the ring volume.
Note: You need to perform the above three steps only once.
4. Whenever you want to put the phone in silent mode, press and hold the Volume down till the sound decreases to the lowest level which will automatically turn on the silent mode. This can be confirmed by the sound icon in the volume slider that changes the Vibration icon (Speakerphone with a bar and vibration).
4. Using Volume Slider
There’s another faster way to enable vibration mode using the volume keys. Press the Volume up or down button to view the volume slider. Tap on the Sound icon at the bottom of the volume slider to switch to the Vibration mode. Press the same icon again to enable the Sound mode.
5. Using Do Not Disturb
The above methods will turn off notifications, ringtones, and sounds from all apps. If you want to customize the silence mode, you can take the advantage of Do not disturb mode on Samsung Galaxy phones.
With DND, you can allow sounds for some calls, messages, apps, alarms, and other types of sounds. You can even schedule the silent mode to silence the Samsung phone at night.
To enable and customize the feature, go to Settings > Notifications > Do not disturb. Enable the toggle next to Do not disturb and customize the settings as per your preference on the same screen.
6. Create a Bixby Routine
Bixby Routines can also be used to silence a Samsung phone. You need to create a routine that would enable Mute mode with one tap.
1. Open the Bixby Routines app on your phone.
2. Tap on the Add routine tab at the bottom.
3. Here you need to set the trigger and corresponding action for the routine. Tap on the Add (+) button under the If section and choose Start manually from the list.
4. Tap on the Add (+) button under the Then section followed by Sounds and vibration.
5. Go to Sound mode and volume and tap on Mute. Press the Done button.
6. The routine will be created. Tap on Next. Type a routine name and choose its icon. Hit the Done button.
7. A pop-up will appear asking whether you want to add it to the home screen. Tap on Add.
8. Go to the home screen and you will see the newly added widget. Tap on it to enable Mute mode on your phone. Tap on it again if you want to turn off mute.
7. Mute Incoming Calls Quickly
Samsung Galaxy phones offer an interesting feature to mute incoming calls by putting your hand over the screen or by turning your phone face down.
To use this feature, you must enable it first by going to Settings > Advanced features > Motions and gestures. Turn on the toggle next to Mute with gestures.
Now, whenever your phone rings, you can use this feature to silence the ring. Alternatively, simply press the Volume up or down button to silence the call.
Tip: Learn how to mute calls from one person only.
8. Mute All Sounds
Lastly, if you want to completely turn off all sounds including calls, alerts, and media on your phone, you can enable the Mute all sounds accessibility setting. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Hearing enhancements. Enable the toggle next to Mute all sounds.
Use Samsung Phone Like a Pro
Thankfully, the multiple methods to silence the Samsung Galaxy phone compensate for the lack of a physical mute button. Similarly, there are other features in Samsung phones that will impress you. For instance, you can scan a QR code in multiple ways, use apps in split-screen mode, and access apps and other features from Edge panel.