I enjoy using custom notifications for various apps. They help in quickly determining which app or contact sent the notification. Thankfully, Telegram allows users to set custom notifications for individual contacts, private chats, groups, and channels. Even more importantly, you can upload your custom tones to Telegram. Let’s check the steps to add and use custom notification tones in Telegram.
Upload Custom Notification Tones to Telegram
If you don’t like the native list of tones offered by Telegram, you can turn any sound into a notification tone for Telegram. These tones are called Telegram tones. Interestingly, the Telegram tones are cross-platform. That is, if you upload a tone on one phone, it will automatically show up in the list of tones on other phones where you are logged into the same Telegram account. However, you will need to set the tones separately on each phone.
You can upload a sound file to Telegram from your phone using individual chat settings, or notification settings for private chats, groups, and channels. There is even an option to save received audio files and voice messages as notification tones. These should be under 5 seconds and up to 300KB in size. We have covered all the methods below.
Please note that even though you can upload notification tones to Telegram in different ways, all of them will show up under the Telegram tones section irrespective of where they were uploaded from.
Note: Please update the Telegram app on your phone before you follow the steps below.
How to Add and Set Custom Notification for Individual Contacts on Android
1. Launch the Telegram app on your Android phone.
2. Open the chat whose notification sound you want to change.
3. Tap on the three-dot icon at the top-right corner and press the Mute option.
4. Tap on Customize. Turn on the toggle next to Enable custom notifications. This will reveal a bunch of notification settings for the particular contact.
5. Tap on Sound and choose a tone of your choice from the given list. Alternatively, tap on the Upload sound option to upload a sound file from your phone. It will show up under Telegram tones. Select the newly uploaded tone.
How to Add and Set Custom Notification for Private Chats, Groups, and Channels on Android
1. In the Telegram app, tap on the three-bar icon at the top and go to Settings.
2. Tap on Notifications and Sounds. Here you can choose custom notification tones for private chats, groups, and channels. Tap on the chat type for which you want to change the tone.
3. Tap on Sound and select a new tone from the list. Or, press the Upload sound button to add a sound from your phone.
Tip: Check out the best Telegram Bots that you should use.
How to Add and Set Custom Notification for Individual Contacts on iPhone
1. Open the Telegram chat whose tone you want to change on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the contact’s name at the top to open the contact info screen. Press the Mute option on the next screen and choose Customize from the menu.
3. Scroll down and tap on a tone under the Alert tones section to set it as a new contact tone. If you want to add a tone from your iPhone, tap on Upload sound and select the file to upload. Press the Done button to save the changes.
How to Add and Set Custom Notification for Private Chats, Groups, and Channels on iPhone
1. In the Telegram app on your iPhone, tap on the Settings tab at the bottom.
2. Go to Notifications and Sounds followed by either Private chats, Group chats, or Channels.
3. Tap on Sound followed by Upload sound to add a tone from your iPhone. Then, choose the desired tone from the available list. Hit the Done button.
How to Create Notification Tone from Voice Messages or Audio Files
1. Open the Telegram chat containing the voice message or the audio files.
2. Download the audio if it’s yet to be downloaded.
3. Touch and hold the voice message or the audio file and select Save for notifications from the menu.
4. A confirmation toast will show up on the screen.
5. Now, if you try to change the notification tone in the Telegram app using one of the above methods, you will see the newly added tone under the Telegram tones section. Select it to set it as your default tone.
Bonus: How to Turn off Telegram Notifications
You can turn off Telegram notifications for all chats or mute individual contacts.
Turn off Telegram Notifications for All Chats
1. In the Telegram Android app, tap on the three-bar icon and select Settings.
On iPhone, tap on the Settings tab in the Telegram app.
2. Go to Notification and sounds. Tap on Private chats, Group chats, and Channels one by one.
Tip: Turn off the Contact joined Telegram toggle under Events to stop Telegram from notifying you about your contacts joining Telegram.
3. Turn off the toggle next to Notifications for each of them. This will completely turn off Telegram notifications. If you want to disable only sound, tap on Sound and select None or No sound.
Turn off Telegram Notifications for One Chat
1. Open the Telegram chat whose notifications you want to silence.
2. On Android, tap on the three-dot icon at the top and select Mute.
Then, tap on Mute forever. Alternatively, if you want to mute temporarily or for a custom duration, tap on Mute for and choose the desired time.
3. On iPhone, tap on the contact’s name at the top and hit the Mute option. Choose Mute forever from the menu. To mute for a custom time, tap on Mute for and set the preferred duration.
Use Custom Notifications
Like Telegram, you can use custom notifications for contacts in WhatsApp. You can even change the notification sound for Facebook Messenger. If you like customizing your phone, check out third-party apps to customize the notification center on Android.