OTP aka One Time Password messages are sent when you are trying to log into sites, for card verification, online transactions, and much more. These OTP messages have a limited time validity and are useless once used. So It would be great if one could have OTPs deleted automatically after a certain time. Thankfully, you can easily do that on Android. Let’s learn how to delete OTP messages automatically after some time on Android phones including Samsung Galaxy phones.
Table of Contents
How to Auto Delete OTP on Google Messages
Google Messages app has a native feature to auto-delete OTP after 24 hours. Follow these steps to turn it on:
1. On your Android phone, open the Google Messages app.
2. Tap on the Account icon at the top and select Messages settings.
3. Tap on Message organization and disable the toggle next to Auto-delete OTPs after 24 hrs.
When the Auto Delete OTP setting is turned on, the new OTP messages will be deleted after 24 hours of receiving them. Please note that old OTP messages on your phone will not be deleted after activating this setting. You will have to delete those messages manually.
Tip: Want to send a message after a few days or months? Know how to schedule messages on Google Messages.
How to Auto Delete OTP on Samsung Messages
Unfortunately, Samsung Messages doesn’t have a direct way to delete OTP messages automatically. However, it offers a setting that will automatically delete your old SMS messages (yes, all messages and not just OTP) when it meets certain criteria. The criteria is that there should be at least 1000 text messages or 100 multimedia messages.
Follow these steps to auto-delete text messages on Samsung Galaxy phones:
1. Open the Samsung Messages app on your phone.
2. Tap on the three-dot icon and select Settings.
3. Go to More Settings and turn off the toggle next to Delete old messages. Now, please note that the old messages will be deleted only when the messages reach the limit of 1000 text messages or 100 multimedia.
Tip: If you want to auto-delete OTP messages on Samsung without deleting all messages, you should make Google Messages your default messaging app on Samsung. Also, there are ways to retrieve deleted messages on Samsung.
How to Auto Delete OTP on Microsoft SMS Organizer
If you are looking for an app that offers more flexibility in terms of time to delete OTPs automatically, you should check the Microsoft SMS Organizer app. If you use the Microsoft SMS Organizer app as your default messaging app on Android phones, follow these steps to auto-delete OTP on it:
1. Open the SMS Organizer app on your phone.
2. Tap on the three-dot icon and select Settings from the menu.
3. Tap on Message rules followed by Delete older OTP messages. Select the time after which you want to delete messages. You can delete after 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, or 1 year.
Pro Tip: Microsoft SMS Organizer also lets you auto-delete promotional messages after a certain time.
1. Should I delete OTPs after 24 hours?
Yes. Most OTPs are valid only for 15 minutes or 1 hour. There’s no point in keeping those messages after that. However, if you like to keep a record of such messages or the messages don’t bother you in any way, there’s no compulsion to turn on the auto-delete feature.
2. How to automatically delete OTP messages on iPhone?
Go to iPhone Settings > Password > Password Options and enable the toggle next to Clean Up Automatically. Please note that this setting applies to the Mail app as well. Also, the OTP messages will be deleted only if the AutoFill feature is used to insert them in the text field.
Export and Print Messages
Hope you were able to get rid of unnecessary OTP messages from your messaging app by enabling the Auto delete OTP feature on your Android phone. Before you leave, learn how to export text messages on Android phones. Also, know how to print text messages.