Google Chat is a free communication tool for teams and businesses, but there are times when you get spam from an unknown or unwanted person. In that case, Google Chat also offers some handy tools to block and report that person. Let’s take a look at how to block, report, and unblock someone on Google Chat using the web and mobile apps.
Table of Contents
How to Block and Report on Google Chat Web App
Blocking and reporting a person on Google Chat web is easy. Here are the steps to do so.
1. Type chat.google.com in the browser of your choice and hit Enter/Return on your keyboard.
2. Click on kebab menu (three dots) next to the name of the person you want to block or report or both.
Pro Tip: If the person’s name is not appearing in the Chat section, you can search for them by clicking on the Magnifying glass icon.
3. From the list of available options click on Block & Report.
4. A pop-up menu will open on the screen now. You can either click on Block and be done. If you wish to report that person as well, check the Report to Google option and then click on Block. Now the person will be blocked until you decide to unblock him/her.
How to Unblock Somebody on Google Chat Web
If you blocked the wrong person by mistake, then here are the steps to unblock a person on Google Chat web.
1. Type chat.google.com in the browser of your choice and hit Enter/Return on your keyboard to open Google Chat.
2. Click on the Settings icon (cog wheel) near the top right corner of the screen to open Google Chat settings.
3. Setting page will open as a pop-up on your screen, under the Blocked People section, click on Manage accounts you have blocked.
4. A list of all the people you have blocked will open on a new web page. Click on the X mark next to the person you want to unblock and the person will be unblocked immediately.
By the way, you can now change the status in Google Chat and set a custom one. Learn how.
How to Block and Report on Google Chat Mobile
Sometimes we don’t have access to a laptop and in that case, you might wanna use your mobile to block a person on Google Chat. The steps are almost identical on both iOS and Android. Let’s take a look at how to block someone on Google Chat’s smartphone app.
1. Navigate to Google Chat app on your smartphone and tap to open it.
2. Once Google Chat is open, tap on the chat of the person you want to block and report.
Pro Tip: If you want to block a person whose name is not in the Chat list, then you can tap on Search in chat, type their full name or email id, and once their profile shows up tap on it to open the conversation. And then follow the steps below.
3. Tap on their name/email to further open the conversation options.
4. On the Conversations Options page, tap on Block.
5. A pop-up will appear. Check the report option and tap on Block to confirm or if you don’t want to report, directly click on Block.
How to Unblock Someone on Google Chat Mobile
If you wish to unblock a person on Google Chat by using mobile devices, then here are the steps to do so. The steps are almost identical on iOS and Android, so you can follow them worry-free. Let’s get started.
1. Navigate to Google Chat on your smartphone/mobile and tap to open it.
2. Tap on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) near the top left corner of the screen.
3. Tap on Settings.
4. Under the Manage blocking section, tap on Manage blocked users in Chat.
5. A new web page will open with a list of all the blocked persons. Tap on X next to the person’s name whom you wish to unblock, and the person will be unblocked and be able to message you back on Google Chat.
Do More on Google Chat
With the help of these tools, you can use Google Chat like a pro. Now you know how to block, block and report, and unblock a person on Google Chat on the web and mobile apps. Simply follow the above-mentioned steps and continue to keep chatting on Google Chat. I hope this helped you figure out a way to block and unblock a person on Google Chat.
Are you reading this on Chrome? Do you know how to sign in and out of your Google account on Chrome browser?