So you recently gave your kid a new phone and want to check the apps they’re using to ensure their safety? While there are various ways to find hidden apps on a Samsung Galaxy Phone, it’s crucial to note that invading someone’s privacy without their consent is generally considered unethical. Now that this matter is addressed, here’s how to discover hidden apps.
Table of Contents
Why Check for Hidden Apps on a Phone
There can be many reasons why someone might want to check a person’s phone for hidden apps, such as:
- Concern for Safety: You want to ensure your friends or family members are not involved in potentially harmful activities or relationships, which can eventually ruin lives.
- Parental Monitoring: As discussed earlier, you may want to monitor your children’s phone usage to ensure they are not accessing inappropriate content or engaging in risky behavior.
- Trust Issues: If there’s a trust issue in your relationship, you might be tempted to check for secret apps on your partner’s phone to address your suspicions.
- Security Concerns: If you’re a high-profile individual or someone concerned about the security of your phone, you may want to ensure that no disguised apps are installed on your phone without your knowledge
1. Find Hidden Apps From Home Screen Settings
One of the easiest ways to find hidden apps on a phone is through the home screen settings. For many people, this is the quickest method to hide apps on their phones. So here’s how to check it:
1. Go to Settings > Home Screen and then tap Hide apps on Home and Apps screens option.
2. If the person has hidden any apps, you will see all of them at the top of the screen under the Hidden apps category. And since you can’t access the app directly from there, you first need to unhide them.
To do that, just tap on the – (minus) icon on the top of the app and it will be removed from the hidden apps category. After that, tap the Done button.
3. As shown in the screenshot below, the apps are now visible in the App Drawer. After using the app, remember to hide them again to ensure the person whose phone it is remains unaware of your access.
4. To hide apps on Samsung Galaxy phones, revisit Settings > Home Screen > Hide apps on Home and Apps screens. Next, choose the app, in our case, it’s Tinder and Bumble, and once finished, tap the Done button.
You can see the difference here:
2. Fiding Hidden Apps From Settings App
Some Android users set 3rd-party launchers on their devices to give a fresh look to their phones and also to hide apps. Since various launchers have different settings for hiding apps, it can be challenging to locate them. This is where Samsung’s Settings App comes into play. Let me show you how:
1. Open the Android Settings and navigate to the Apps section. From there, you can view all the apps installed on the Samsung phone. If you discover the app that was missing from the App Drawer, now you know which one is the hidden app.
2. The next step is to access the app. Touch and hold an empty space on the home screen, then go to the Launcher’s Settings.
3. Now, go to Home screen > Hidden apps.
NOTE: Settings may vary depending on the launcher.
4. On the following screen, you will find the apps that the user has hidden. Tap the Unhide button and then hit Hide apps.
As you can see, you can now view the hidden apps from the App Drawer.
NOTE: Make sure to hide the app again to ensure your friends or family members don’t discover your actions.
3. Look for Hidden Apps in the Secure Folder
If your child’s school grades are dropping, and you’re unsure why, check the Secure Folder on the Samsung phone. This app lets users hide files, media, and even apps. Your children may be engaging with dating apps, social media, or games without your awareness, potentially diverting their focus from studying.
NOTE: In most jurisdictions, parents can check their kids’ phones if they’re under 18 to prevent any mishaps. But once the child is an adult, their privacy is protected. Parents can’t access their adult child’s phone without permission.
Before proceeding with this method, ensure that you know the PIN code to access the Secure Folder. Now that this aspect is covered, here’s how it works:
1. Find the Secure Folder in the App Drawer. If you can’t find it, that means the user has hidden the app. (You can follow the above guide to learn how users hide their apps on Samsung phones.)
2. After that, enter the PIN code to unlock the app. You will need to talk to your kids about it.
That’s it. You can now view all the hidden apps inside a Samsung Galaxy phone.
In case you want to uninstall the app, simply long-press on the app, and you will get the option to uninstall it.
Remember we mentioned that this app can hide files as well. As you can see in the screenshot below, all the photos and screenshots that were taken from inside the Secure Folder are not visible in the regular Gallery app.
1. Will the phone owner know if I accessed their hidden apps?
Typically, the device owner would not be able to figure it out. However, if you forget to re-hide the apps in the hidden folder or clear the app from the recent app screen, the user might discover that you have access to the phone.
2. Why would someone want to hide apps on their phone?
There are several reasons why someone might want to hide apps on their phone, including protecting personal information, concealing sensitive apps, preventing unauthorized access, avoiding uninstallation, and more.
3. What if I can’t find the hidden apps I’m looking for?
If you cannot find hidden apps on Samsung phones, the user may be using a third-party app to disguise the app, or the user has not hidden any apps at all.
Unmasking Hidden Apps on Samsung Galaxy
Finding a secret app in the Samsung Galaxy phone can be challenging but with the above methods you will most likely be able to find it. In case you want to find the hidden apps on an iPhone, you can check out our detailed guide on it as well.