Typically, one will use the Instagram camera to create the Reel video. But what if you want to upload an old video or the video that you edited in a different app on your phone or PC as an Instagram Reel? Is that possible? Thankfully, yes. You can upload Reels on Instagram from your gallery on Android and iPhone as well as from your PC.
How to Upload Reels on Instagram From Gallery
To upload a video saved in your phone’s gallery on Android and iPhone as an Instagram Reel, follow these steps:
1. Open the Instagram app on your Android phone or iPhone.
2. Tap on the (+) button and select the Reel tab.
3. Tap on the (+) Add button at the bottom.
4. All recent photos and videos will show. Select the video that you want to upload as a reel. Tap on the Gallery or the Recents option at the top-left corner to switch to a different album.
5. The video preview screen will show up. Here you can trim the video by dragging the slider at the bottom using the corner edges. Once satisfied with the length of the video, tap on the Add button.
6. You might be taken to the screen where you can capture a new video (or add photos to the Reel) and merge it with the one that you uploaded from the gallery. Tap on Next.
8. Lastly, add a caption to your Reel and make the final changes. Then, tap on Next to publish the Reel that you uploaded from your phone gallery.
Tip: Learn how to add disappearing text to Instagram Reels.
How to Upload Reels on Instagram From PC
You can upload Reels from a computer directly using the Instagram website as shown below:
1. Open Instagram.com in a browser on your laptop and log in to your Instagram account.
2. Click on the Create tab in the left sidebar.
3. The Create new post screen will show up. Drag the video that you want to post as a Reel or click on the Select from computer button.
I would suggest you edit the Reel before uploading it to Instagram as you cannot edit it on the Instagram website. Also, make sure the Reel video is in a 9:16 aspect ratio.
4. The video crop screen will appear. Click on the Double-arrow icon at the bottom and choose 9:16 from the list. This will put the video in 9:16 Reel format in case the video was in a different aspect ratio. Click on Next.
5. On the next screen, you can change the cover photo, trim the video, and turn off the video sound. Click on Next after making the desired changes.
6. Finally, you can write a caption for your video, tag people, add location, or hide likes and turn off comments on the Reel. When done, tap on Share to upload the Reel from your computer.
Tip: Check out other ways to upload videos to Instagram from computer.