Did someone ask you to send your location on your iPhone? And now you are confused about how to share the location with your friend or family member? Worry not. We are here to help. In this post, we have covered the different ways to share location on iPhone using existing and 3rd-party apps.
Table of Contents
1. Using iMessage
iMessage offers one of the easiest ways to share your location on your iPhone. However, this method lets you share location only between Apple devices. So if your friend is using an Android phone, this method will not work but we will share a workaround so continue reading.
However, if both of you have an iPhone, follow these steps to send your location:
1. Open the Messages app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the chat to which you want to send your location. Or, you can create a new chat.
3. Tap on the contact name at the top.
4. Tap on Send my current location to share your one-time location. However, if you move from your location, your location will not change in the message that you sent.
5. However, if you want to send a real-time location via the Messages app, tap on the Share my location button instead. Select the time period from one hour, end of day, or indefinitely for which you want to share your location
Note: The shared location will open in the Find my app.
2. Using Contacts App
You can also directly share your real-time location with a contact using the Contacts app.
1. Open the Contacts app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the contact with whom you want to share your real-time location.
3. The contact card will open. Scroll down and tap on Share my location. Select the time for which you have to share your location.
4. The user will receive a notification and they will be asked whether they also want to share the location. They can track your location in the Find my app.
Tip: Learn how to add a contact to the home screen on your iPhone.
3. Using Find My App
Another way to share your location with users who have an Apple device is by using the Find my app. You can even track the real-time location of your family members using this app.
1. Open the Find my app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the People tab at the bottom.
3. Tap on the (+) icon followed by Share my location. Or, tap on Start sharing location if you are sharing it for the first time.
4. Then, select the user to whom you want to send your real-time location and press the Send button.
5. The location will be shared and the other person will be notified about it.
Tip: Learn how to find a lost iPhone without my iPhone.
4. Using Apple Maps
If you don’t like the Find my service, you can use Apple Maps to send your location. Interestingly, this method lets you share your location with both Apple and non-Apple users. That means you can send the location link via any app of your choice.
1. Open Apple Maps on your iPhone.
2. Swipe up on the bottom panel to expand it. Press the Share My Location button.
3. Select the app or contact where you want to send your location.
To share a different location from your current location on Apple Maps, find the location and tap on it. You will see the location details in the bottom panel. Tap on the Share icon to send the location to the preferred app or contact.
Also Read: Here’s how to send your location from an Android phone if you have one.
5. Using Google Maps
Alternatively, if you prefer using Google Maps over other apps, you can also use it to send your location on your iPhone. This method can be used to share your location with Android users as well.
1. Open the Google Maps app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the Location icon to go to your location.
3. A blue circle will show up on your location. Tap on it and press the Share location button. This method allows you to share your real-time location. If you move from your location, the location will automatically change after sharing it.
4. Tap on the For 1-hour button and select the time for which you want to share your real-time location. Then, select the contact to send your location.
5. Or, tap on the More options at the bottom. The Share with a link pop-up window will show up. Tap on Share. Select the app where you want to send the location.
6. To send your static location, tap on a location near the blue dot.
7. Swipe left on the buttons that show up in the pop-up window and tap on Share. Select the app to share your location.
Tip: Learn how to create a map with multiple pins on Google Maps.
6. Using WhatsApp
If you are an avid WhatsApp user or someone asked you to send your location on WhatsApp on your iPhone, you can directly send the location in WhatsApp without using any other service. Just like Google Maps, this method works on all platforms and isn’t limited to Apple devices.
1. Open WhatsApp on your iPhone and open the chat where you want to send your location.
2. Tap on the (+) icon and select Location from the menu.
3. The Send location screen will show up. Tap on Send your current location to share your location.
4. Alternatively, tap on Share live location to send your real-time location. Select the time for which you want to enable real-time tracking. Then, press the Send button to send your location to the contact.
Tip: Check out the best privacy settings for WhatsApp.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How to fix location sharing not working on iPhone?
If you are unable to share your location on your iPhone, make sure location services are enabled on your iPhone. Go to Settings > Privacy & safety > Location services. Enable the toggle next to Location services.
2. How do I see someone’s location?
To see someone else’s location, you must ask them to send their location. Without their permission, you cannot see their location. Once they share the location, open the Find my app and you should be able to track them.
Hope you were able to send your location on your iPhone. If you want to track your family members, check out the best family locater apps for Android and iPhone. Before you go, know how to use the Maps feature on Instagram.