Instagram has become a great tool for showcasing businesses as well as individual talent. There are various ways to interact on Instagram with someone like DMs, notes, replying to comments with reels, and more. Similarly, you can also interact by posting a story, but that comes with a drawback in that it disappears after 24 hours. So, if you want to put up a story for more than 24 hours or as long as you want, here are the steps to add a story to a Highlight which will keep your story on forever.
Table of Contents
What Are Story Highlights on Instagram
Story Highlights appear under your bio in your profile in a separate section. Basically, Highlights are nothing but Stories that you want to feature or appear on your Instagram profile forever. Stories disappear within 24 hours after they go live. However, for one reason or another, you may want a particular story to have a longer shelf life. That’s where highlights come in.
Unlike Stories, you can’t view a list of viewers in Highlights. If the story and highlight both are new, you will see viewers for up to 24 hours. After that, once the story expires, what remains is the highlight (if you have chosen the story as a highlight too).
Add Story to Highlights on Instagram
There are two ways to add a story to Highlights. The first is by adding a new story and adding it to highlight simultaneously. Let’s take a look at the steps to do so.
1. Navigate to Instagram on your smartphone and tap to open it.
2. Tap on the + icon near the messenger icon.
Note: On some Instagram profiles, you might find this button at the bottom bar also.
3. On the next page, tap on Story to proceed further with.
4. Capture a story by tapping the white capture button.
5. Now long press on the Your Story near the bottom left corner of the screen.
6. A new highlight will be created, since there are no previous highlights, tap on the text field and type a name for the Highlight.
Note: If you have previously created Highlights for your profile, then long press to see a list of all the Highlights you can choose from. Just tap on any of them and the story will be added to the selected Highlight.
7. Tap on Add to add a story and also add that story to the highlight as well.
Add Story to Highlights (Alternate Way)
If you already have posted a story on your Instagram profile and want to add that to a highlight of yours, then here are the steps to do that.
1. Navigate to the Instagram app on your phone and tap to open it.
2. Tap on Your Story in the top left corner to open it.
3. Once your story opens, tap on the Highlight button near the bottom.
4. A list of highlights will open, tap on any of them to add that story to the highlights. You’ll see a message on the top of the screen saying Added to Highlights.
1. Can I add a highlight without adding a story on Instagram?
No. Until now Instagram doesn’t allow you to do so.
2. How many Highlights can you have on your Instagram profile?
You can have as many Highlights as you want on your profile. Instagram hasn’t specified a limit yet.
3. How many photos/videos can be added in one highlight?
The number is 100, whether it’s a photo or video. You can’t have more than 100 items in a single highlight.
4. What will happen to a Highlight if I try to add a 101st item?
If you try to add a photo/video in a Highlight that already has 100 items in it, it will remove the first item of the Highlight and will squeeze in the last item you just tried adding.
5. Can you move highlights on Instagram to another highlight?
No. But you can create another Highlight and can add the desired items in it from the Stories Archive.
Highlight Your Stories on Instagram
Instagram keeps updating its app according to the users and trends and in return, we get an app that is loaded with tons and tons of features. If you compare Instagram to the early days, it started as a photo-sharing platform then came stories, then highlights, then reels, and much more. And I hope this helped you understand how to add a Highlight to your Insta profile in no time. As Instagram keeps launching new features we’ll keep breaking them down in simple words, be sure to bookmark us on your browser of choice.
Do you know that now you can showcase your NFTs on Instagram as well? Learn How to Set Up Digital Collectibles on Instagram.