Do you want to message yourself on WhatsApp? There could be several reasons for doing so. For instance, you can create notes, and to-do lists, share links, or send media like pictures, documents, etc., to other linked devices. Whatever the reason, this post offers four ways to message yourself on WhatsApp on Android, iPhone, and computer. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
1. Using the Message Yourself Feature in WhatsApp Contact List (Android, iPhone)
The latest versions of WhatsApp make it easy to message yourself. You will see your own name at the top of the WhatsApp contact list. Just tap on it to message yourself.
Here are the steps in detail to send a WhatsApp message to yourself using WhatsApp’s Message Yourself feature.
1. Open WhatsApp on your Android phone or iPhone.
2. Tap on the floating new chat icon at the bottom and select the Message yourself contact present at the top to open the chat with yourself on Android.
Similarly, on iPhone, tap on the New chat icon at the top and tap on your contact name or number that says Message yourself.
3. Your own WhatsApp chat thread will open. Use it to store notes, links, messages, etc.
We would suggest you save your own phone number in your phone’s contacts list. Doing so will show your name instead of your number in WhatsApp chats.
Tip: Learn how to hide WhatsApp About from specific contacts.
2. Using the Click to Chat Feature (Android, iPhone, PC)
If the above method doesn’t work, you can take advantage of an old trick by using the Click to chat feature to message yourself on WhatsApp.
The Click to chat feature lets you WhatsApp message any number without saving their contact. All you need to do is suffix the desired phone number to the wa.me/ link and then click on the link to open their WhatsApp chat. This feature also allows you to message yourself without adding a contact. You can use it to text yourself on WhatsApp from any platform, such as Android, iPhone, web, or computer.
1. Type wa.me/ in a browser on your phone or computer.
2. Suffix your own phone number in the international format to this link but without adding any special characters (+, -, etc.)
For instance, if my phone number is 91987654321, where 91 is the international code, my link will be wa.me/91587654321.
3. Press the Enter button to open the link. Tap or click on Continue to chat.
That’s it. Your own chat will open where you can message yourself.
Tip: If you are unable to create the Click to chat link for your own number, you can use third-party websites like nocontactapp.com and easymessage.app for the same. Simply enter your number to start messaging yourself on WhatsApp.
3. Using Contacts on Phone (Android)
On Android, you can also use your phone’s contact list to message yourself on WhatsApp as shown below:
1. Save your own number on your phone.
2. Open the Contacts app on your Android phone.
3. Find your own contact card in the contacts list and open it by tapping on it.
4. Here you will see the WhatsApp icon or button. Tap on the one that says Message followed by your own number.
Your own WhatsApp chat will show up. Use it to message yourself.
Tip: Find out where your contacts are saved on Android or iPhone.
4. By Creating a Group (Android, iPhone, PC)
Another way to message yourself on WhatsApp is by creating a group. Basically, you need to create a group by adding at least one contact to it. Once the group is created, simply remove the other person from the group. That’s it. The group will now only have one member and that’s you.
You can use this group to chat with yourself on WhatsApp. You can even change the picture of the group.
How to Message Yourself by Creating a WhatsApp Group on Android or iPhone
1. Open WhatsApp on your Android phone or iPhone.
2. Tap on the floating chat icon on Android or the New chat icon on iPhone.
3. Tap on New group.
4. Now, add any of your contacts to the group. Try to add a close person so that you can tell them the reason for adding and removing them from the group.
5. Tap on the Arrow button (Android) or the Next button (iPhone).
6. Enter a name for your group and press the Checkmark button (Android) or the Create button (iPhone).
7. The group will be created. Now, open the group and tap on the group name at the top to view the group info screen.
8. Scroll down and tap on the participant’s name whom you want to remove from the group. Tap on Remove.
That’s it. Now, your own personal group is ready and you can text yourself.
Tip: Find out the differences between WhatsApp groups and communities.
How to Message Yourself by Creating a WhatsApp Group on a PC
1. Open WhatsApp on your computer.
2. Click on the (+) icon at the top.
3. Select the New group option.
4. Add a group participant of your choice and click on the Next icon at the bottom.
5. Enter the group name and click on the checkmark icon to create the group.
6. Once the group is created, click on the group name at the top. The group info sidebar will open. Scroll down and right-click on the participant whom you want to remove. Select Remove from the menu.
Bonus Tips to Message Yourself on WhatsApp
1. Pin Your Own Chat on WhatsApp
If you want to send messages to yourself regularly on WhatsApp, you must pin the chat. That way your own chat thread will always be available at the top of the contacts list. You don’t need to search for it again.
To pin your own WhatsApp chat on Android, long touch the chat and tap on the Pin icon.
To pin the chat on your iPhone, swipe right on the chat and press the Pin button.
Tip: The chat pinned on one device will show as pinned on other linked devices as well.
2. Add WhatsApp Chat Shortcut to Home Screen (Android)
You can create a shortcut for your own WhatsApp chat thread on your Android phone’s home screen. This allows you to message yourself directly from the home screen.
To do so, open your own WhatsApp chat and tap on the three-dot icon at the top followed by More.
Tap on Add shortcut. A confirmation screen will show up. Tap on Add.
Tip: Know how to put the WhatsApp app icon on the home screen.
Messaging yourself is one of the hidden features of WhatsApp. If you want to further explore and customize WhatsApp, learn how to use custom notification sounds on WhatsApp. Also, know how to create personal stickers on WhatsApp.