Whether you want a perfect picture for your social media account like WhatsApp, Instagram, etc., or want to create app icons, you will have to crop an image into a circle. But how does one do that on Android and iPhone? Thankfully, there are easy and free ways to convert a picture into a circle with a transparent background. Let’s check different ways to crop a picture into a circle on iPhone and Android.
Table of Contents
Method 1: How to Crop a Picture into a Circle on Samsung Galaxy Phones
If you own a Samsung Galaxy phone, you are a lucky person. That’s because Samsung Galaxy phones offer a native shape crop feature in the gallery app that lets you crop a picture into a circle. Follow these steps:
1. Launch the Samsung Gallery app and open the photo that you want to crop into a circle.
2. Tap on the Pencil (Edit) icon at the bottom.
3. Tap on the Crop tool at the bottom, in case it isn’t selected by default. Then, tap on the Circle icon from the second toolbar.
4. Tap on Shape and select Circle.
5. The circular mask will appear in the picture. Drag it to the required place. Drag the corner edges of the square border to change the size of the mask.
6. Tap on Next.
7. On this screen, you can add an outline to your circle. Use the slider to increase the size of the outline or keep it at a low level to hide the outline. Choose a color from the available list at the bottom. Then, tap on Done.
8. Tap on Save to download the circular image with a transparent background on your Samsung Galaxy phone.
Tip: Check out other cool and hidden features of the Samsung Gallery app.
Method 2: Using Third-Party Apps (Android and iOS)
Other Android phones or iPhones do not offer native features to crop pictures into shapes. You will have to rely on third-party apps to crop a picture into a circle on iPhone and Android.
There are many free apps that let you crop pictures into circles. We will be using the free Picsart app to turn a square image into a circle.
Crop a Picture into a Circle on iPhone Using Picsart
1. Install and open the Picsart app on your iPhone.
Note: If the app asks you to sign up or pay for premium, just press the Skip or X icon at the top of the pop-up.
2. Tap on the (+) button and select the photo that you want to crop into a circular shape under the All Albums section.
3. Tap on Tools followed by Shape Crop.
4. Select the Circle shape from the list of shapes.
5. Touch and hold the circle that appears on your picture to move it around. Place it in the area that you want to keep inside the circle. Drag the circle using the double-sided arrow present below the circle to increase its size.
6. Once the proper area is inside the circle, tap on the Next arrow at the top.
7. On the next screen, you can change or remove the outline around the circular picture. Select the preferred color from the list at the bottom to change the border color. Or, decrease the size of the border to a minimum using the Size slider to get rid of the border.
8. Tap on the Save button at the top to confirm the changes.
9. You will reach the regular photo-editing screen. Tap on the Download icon at the top to save the circular image with a transparent background.
Note: If the above steps do not work, try the steps mentioned in the Android section below.
Other apps that you can use to crop a picture into a circle on iPhone:
- Round Photo
- Crop Circle (Paid)
Tip: Learn how to use the photo cutout feature to make stickers on iPhone.
Crop a Picture into a Circle on Android Using Picsart
1. Install and open the Picsart app on your Android phone.
2. Tap on the (+) Add button and select Edit a Photo.
3. Choose the photo from your Android phone that you want to convert into a circle.
4. The picture will open in the Picsart photo editor. Scroll through the available options at the bottom and tap on Cutout.
5. Tap on Shape and select Circle Shape.
6. A circular mask will be added to the picture. Drag it to the area that you want to keep. To increase its size, use the double-sided arrow.
7. To preview your final selection, tap on the Eye icon at the top. Once satisfied, tap on the Checkmark icon.
8. Finally, tap on the Save icon to download the circular image in PNG format with a transparent background on your Android phone.
Other free Android apps to convert images into a circle:
Tip: Know how to add stickers to photos on Android.
Method 3: Using Online Tools
If you don’t want to download an app, you can also use free online tools to crop a picture into a circle. All you need to do is add the image on the website, select the area, and hit the crop button.
Here are the steps in detail:
1. Open iphonecrop.com/ in a browser on your Android or iPhone. Don’t worry, even though the website says iPhone crop, it works on all platforms.
2. Tap on the Click Here option and select Photo Library (iOS) or File/Gallery (Android). Choose the photo that you want to crop.
3. The preview of the photo will show up. You can change the size of the image by tapping on Actual Size at the bottom. Then, tap on Done.
4. Drag the picture in the circle or use the pinch-to-zoom gesture to adjust the desired area inside the circle.
5. Finally, tap on Click here in step 2 of the website to crop the picture into a round shape.
6. The cropped image will appear on the screen. Long press it and select Save to Photos (iPhone) or Download image (Android).
Tip: You can also use http://crop-circle.imageonline.co/ to crop pictures into round shapes.
Put Picture on Another Picture
Once you have cropped a picture into a circle on your mobile, learn how to put a picture on another picture on Android or iPhone. Also, know how to put two pictures side by on Android.